Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A friends ghost story

Options
  • 17-02-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Personally i don't believe in this bull but i have a friend who is adamant that he has had a ghostly experience in an old house he was renting while waiting for his new house to be built. His experience only ever happened in the old house he rented...

He is a sincere person, and wouldn't make it up... He claims that most nights when going to bed he would feel someone sit down on his bed for a minute or so and then get up but with no one there :eek:. He also could tell when it was about to happen as he would start to feel cold..

So any ideas here, any plausible explanation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

Micky 32 wrote: »

So any ideas here, any plausible explanation?

Did he have the light on or off?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CatHerder

Micky 32 wrote: »
    He claims that most nights when going to bed he would feel someone sit down on his bed for a minute or so and then get up but with no one there :eek:.
    Was he able to move during this experience or was he rivited to the spot with fear? There is a sleep disorder that can cause similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

CatHerder wrote: »
    Was he able to move during this experience or was he rivited to the spot with fear? There is a sleep disorder that can cause similar experiences.

Was just going to say this. Happened to me once before and scared the bejaysus out of me. Couldn't move a muscle and felt like someone sat down on the bed and then got up soon after. But I'm sure he would have mentioned the paralysis as well if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

No paralysis no nothing. The only thing he felt was cold before it happened, he could actually tell when it was about to happen. Only happened in the house he was living in at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

From a paranormal point of view, it could well of been a replay of what used to happen with the person who lived in that house. When that person went to bed or around that time. Perhaps it has just been locked in your friends mine now and he knows when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

KeithAFC wrote: »
    From a paranormal point of view, it could well of been a replay of what used to happen with the person who lived in that house. When that person went to bed or around that time. Perhaps it has just been locked in your friends mine now and he knows when it happens.

i deffo say theres something in it and old houses,i experainced it in a 1600 cen house i worked in and i can tell you you do go cold as its a funny feeling and i knew there was something there.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Was just going to say this. Happened to me once before and scared the bejaysus out of me. Couldn't move a muscle and felt like someone sat down on the bed and then got up soon after. But I'm sure he would have mentioned the paralysis as well if this was the case.
    Yeah, similar thing happened to me once. I dreamt that I woke up in my room to find someone pinning me down by the wrists. His face was clouded over so I realized that I must be dreaming. I resteled my self into a waking state and found there was nobody there. It was a very unsettling experience but I would still only attribute it to a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

CatHerder wrote: »
    Yeah, similar thing happened to me once. I dreamt that I woke up in my room to find someone pinning me down by the wrists. His face was clouded over so I realized that I must be dreaming. I resteled my self into a waking state and found there was nobody there. It was a very unsettling experience but I would still only attribute it to a dream.
    The normal word which would be used for a part of that would be sleep paralysis but since you seen something with your eyes, then it could be something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 FoxInATreehouse

I agree with this, if looking for a paranormal explanation. I believe it's called a residual when a spirit continues to replay a certain scene and may not be aware of any living beings. In this case, it could be a former resident preparing for bed. As for a non-paranormal explanation, the cold the friend felt could be explained by a draft in the walls or floors which may act up around the time the friend would usually go to bed. Just a thought anyway.
    The normal word which would be used for a part of that would be sleep paralysis but since you seen something with your eyes, then it could be something else.

It may not happen to everyone, but when I've had sleep paralysis before, I've seen shapes or the entire house enshrouded in fog. I've heard about others having auditory hallucinations as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Personally, whenever i read stories that centre around bedtime, especially people who wake and see things in my mind is definately not paranormal.

If i'm in bed and tired or if i wake in the night and could be awake for a good 20 mins and i look at my curtains with the light shining through from the moon i can make shapes and words that are not there. I think the brain acts funny at those times when you are in sleep mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sleep paralysis can include hallucinations; it's the main cause of claims of alien abductions, and in earlier times tales of succubi.

A friend of mine used to get them; she'd 'wake up' and feel an evil prescence in the room, she lay there frozen to the bed as an old woman advanced upon her... and then she woke up properly. They're fairly terrifying, by all accounts, but not ghosts or aliens.

OP, I'd be inclined to say that your friend was having some kind of lucid dream as he drifted off to sleep, which was influenced by the creepy feelings you get in old houses sometimes.

Old buildings with dodgy heating can be prone to cold spots (not even old buildings, the very new building I'm in at the moment has dodgy heating; so much so that my left arm is nice and warm, but my right arm is cold), and the temperature in the room dropping could be nothing more than the heating going off (if he was in bed it'd make sense that the heating would be turned off) and the temperature plummeting because of big rooms, bad insulation and draughty windows.

kylith wrote: »
    OP, I'd be inclined to say that your friend was having some kind of lucid dream as he drifted off to sleep,
    I was experimenting with lucid dreaming when I had the experience i described in post 8

KeithAFC wrote:
    So I can confirm for you Keith that it was nothing more than a dream related experience that i had.

Advertisement