Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email scam

Options
  • 17-02-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

hey guys i just recieved this email in the wee hours of this morning. im not sure where i should post this thread but im posting it here because im from limerick and was wondering who i should report it to??

our online email lottery in which e-mail addresses are
    picked randomly by computerised balloting, powered
    by the Internet. Your email address was amongst
    those chosen for this period.
    Ticket no: 56475600545 188
    Serial No:5388/02
    Winning number: 08.11.21.32.35.42. {47}
    Draw (#1187)
    To claim your prize, please contact:
    Fiduciary Agent Mr.Brian Adams
    Email: [email]mrbrian.adams2@yahoo.com.hk<mailto:mrbrian.adams2@yahoo.com.hk[/email]> with your
    Name,Full Address,Country,Age,Gender,Occupation,Phone.
    Tell: +447031998887 or +447031999580
    Yours faithfully,
    Lotto Officer: Terri Mount

i googled the name of the agent given above and it turns out people have been scammed with this before. obviuosly it seemed like a scam anmyway but thought id give a heads up incase anyone else gets this.

seems like they are trying to get peoples details. since they naver asked for a bank number im assuming its more identity theft rather than trying to steal. unless they would ask for bank numbers after
    i was wondering is there an internet autorithy to report this stuff to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Let it go mate, there are billions of these emails sent every single day, the gardai would probably laugh at you you reported it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

First of all, congratulations :)

Not too sure about an internet authority and I'm pretty sure the gards couldn't do anything. For what its worth, here is a fraudwatch website
    http://www.fraudwatchinternational.com/report_fraud/report-fraud/

Whats more disturbing is the spanish lottery ones that come through the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

excellent:D

and craic i know i should let it go but the a**holes have my email and tried to trick me. if i was drunk i would have replied:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Icky Thump wrote: »
    excellent:D

and craic i know i should let it go but the a**holes have my email and tried to trick me. if i was drunk i would have replied:rolleyes:

If you were drunk you would have replied?? Really?:eek:

Mc Love wrote: »
    If you were drunk you would have replied?? Really?:eek:
    the sad thing is yes i prob would have:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

My god, Brian Adams has certainly gone down hill since his music career ended..
    To claim your prize, please contact:
    Fiduciary Agent Mr.Brian Adams
    Email: [email]mrbrian.adams2@yahoo.com.hk<mailto:m...2@yahoo.com.hk[/email]> with your

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

5F5C19BB-A6ED-4F31-BE34-BA6A137274E4_extra.jpg

Bet it was this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Icky Thump starts the limerick forums 10000th Thread!! Congrats Icky Thump, PM me with your details for your prize claim!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

OP, theres only one thing you can do that is any way practical if you could be bothered, and that is scam bait.
    This is the process of wasting your scammers time by pretending you are a potential victim. Keep it going until they realise you have no intention of giving them money, or real details. Just keep asking genuine sounding questions, and keep pretending you will send on the details 'in the next mail'.

Its good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Is this thread a pisstake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No such thing as free money.

zuroph wrote: »
    Icky Thump starts the limerick forums 10000th Thread!! Congrats Icky Thump, PM me with your details for your prize claim!
    i almost pm'd you:D
    wylo wrote: »
    OP, theres only one thing you can do that is any way practical if you could be bothered, and that is scam bait.
    This is the process of wasting your scammers time by pretending you are a potential victim. Keep it going until they realise you have no intention of giving them money, or real details. Just keep asking genuine sounding questions, and keep pretending you will send on the details 'in the next mail'.

Its good craic.
    haha this sounds like fun:rolleyes: to the email.......................
    Is this thread a pisstake?
    why would it be a pisstake:confused: im way funnier than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

haha this sounds like fun:rolleyes: to the email.......................

You could do a lot worse than head on over to http://www.419eater.com/ to get some scambaiting tips!

the games have begun:D

Mr (used a fake name) has just replied with a cool address in (another city) and a spare sim cards number;)

lets rock Brian Adams:D mwah ha ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Worst thing you could possibly do is reply to it, once you click on the reply button you will hand them over access into your PC to get a hold of all your pass words, personal emails etc. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yeah, I just emailed Brian to tell him "I'm excited to be a winner, what do I do next?"

Ned(not real name)

I luv playin' with scum like this

Worst thing you could possibly do is reply to it, once you click on the reply button you will hand them over access into your PC to get a hold of all your pass words, personal emails etc. :eek:

:Dreally? they get all access to my pc because of an email? not that id have to allow them into my network(through my firewall) or anything:D

well aussie i just gave him a name address and all the other stuff he was looking for. guess we just sit back and wait for a reply

just got a reply

Tel: +44 703 199 8887
    +44 703 199 9580

Dear
    Sabastian Angeles Montoya,
    The Board of Directors, Members of Staff and the International Awareness Promotion Department of the UKNL Online Sweepstakes Programme, wishes to congratulate you as one of our Four(4) Star Prize Winner in this months UKNL Online Sweepstakes Promotion (IAP) held in England. The selection process was carried out through a Random Selection in our Computerized Email Selection System (C.E.S.S.) from a database of over three million email addresses from the World Wide Web (from all the WWW) drawn from different continents of the world. In your Continent, your email address was luckily selected. This makes you a proud winner of the Sum of 850,000.00 GBP (Eight Hundred and Fifty Thousand Great British Pounds). The Cheque comes with other consolation prize such as T-Shirt, Face Cap and a Sony Viao Laptop {courtesy Sony}.

In reference to the above, we would recommend our affiliate courier which is the only trusted courier presently capable of handling such a vital package as yours,as they have been under a contract with us for quite a long time now to deliver cheques of huge sums from our sponsors to us and our winners. On that note we would require you to contact the courier and arrange them to pick up your Winning Items (i.e Cheque, T-shirt,Face Cap,Winning Certificate and a Sony Viao Laptop courtesy 'Sony') from our office to be delivered to you, be aware that the National Lottery office will only dispatch your Cheque and other Items to them and won't be responsible for any delivery charges incurred. After contacting them, they will give you the delivery arrangement of your Winning Package which you will use to know when your Items would be arriving your Location. You can reach the courier through their details below;

Inter Global Express Courier.
    Senior Dispatch Officer: Mr. Mark Herns
    E-mail:
    ig.ec48@hotmail.co.uk
    Tel Number: +44 704 570 9823
    +44 703 193 1851
    +44 703 193 1792
    Fax Number: +44 700 606 5033

We advice that you give them your Full Name,address, phone number and also your Serial No: 5388/02. You are expected to use your {Serial No: 5388/02} as the subject of any correspondence with the courier company to ensure they respond in a timely manner as you have an Urgent Parcel which must be delivered before Liquidation Period. Do not hesitate to contact us for more information. Kindly contact us the moment you receive your cheque. Thanks for being part of our lottery.

Regards,
    Mr. Brian Adams.
    Tel: +44 7031999580

Oh im so excited im getting a laptop aswell:D i wonder should i contact the couriers. i did afterall give a fake name and address

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

just got a reply

Tel: +44 703 199 8887
    +44 703 199 9580

Dear
    Sabastian Angeles Montoya,
    The Board of Directors, Members of Staff and the International Awareness Promotion Department of the UKNL Online Sweepstakes Programme, wishes to congratulate you as one of our Four(4) Star Prize Winner in this months UKNL Online Sweepstakes Promotion (IAP) held in England. The selection process was carried out through a Random Selection in our Computerized Email Selection System (C.E.S.S.) from a database of over three million email addresses from the World Wide Web (from all the WWW) drawn from different continents of the world. In your Continent, your email address was luckily selected. This makes you a proud winner of the Sum of 850,000.00 GBP (Eight Hundred and Fifty Thousand Great British Pounds). The Cheque comes with other consolation prize such as T-Shirt, Face Cap and a Sony Viao Laptop {courtesy Sony}.

In reference to the above, we would recommend our affiliate courier which is the only trusted courier presently capable of handling such a vital package as yours,as they have been under a contract with us for quite a long time now to deliver cheques of huge sums from our sponsors to us and our winners. On that note we would require you to contact the courier and arrange them to pick up your Winning Items (i.e Cheque, T-shirt,Face Cap,Winning Certificate and a Sony Viao Laptop courtesy 'Sony') from our office to be delivered to you, be aware that the National Lottery office will only dispatch your Cheque and other Items to them and won't be responsible for any delivery charges incurred. After contacting them, they will give you the delivery arrangement of your Winning Package which you will use to know when your Items would be arriving your Location. You can reach the courier through their details below;

Inter Global Express Courier.
    Senior Dispatch Officer: Mr. Mark Herns
    E-mail:
    ig.ec48@hotmail.co.uk
    Tel Number: +44 704 570 9823
    +44 703 193 1851
    +44 703 193 1792
    Fax Number: +44 700 606 5033

We advice that you give them your Full Name,address, phone number and also your Serial No: 5388/02. You are expected to use your {Serial No: 5388/02} as the subject of any correspondence with the courier company to ensure they respond in a timely manner as you have an Urgent Parcel which must be delivered before Liquidation Period. Do not hesitate to contact us for more information. Kindly contact us the moment you receive your cheque. Thanks for being part of our lottery.

Regards,
    Mr. Brian Adams.
    Tel: +44 7031999580

Oh im so excited im getting a laptop aswell:D i wonder should i contact the couriers. i did afterall give a fake name and address

It's hilarious how these chancers waste their time with these dumb scams.

If they had brains they'd be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ha

hahaha

hahahahahahahahahahaahahahaha!

oh wait, you were being serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry at this thread.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I'm unsure whether to laugh or cry at this thread.
    hopefully when the scam is over there will be tears there will be laughter. maybe we will all just like eachother that bit more. its a life changing thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

hopefully when the scam is over there will be tears there will be laughter. maybe we will all just like eachother that bit more. its a life changing thing:D

What a lovely note to close this thread on.
    Enjoy your winnings. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement