Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol Licence

Options
  • 17-02-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

I know it has been discussed before but i'm looking for a licence to sell alcohol in an off licence (the same licence as a pub) but i'm havin a bit of trouble locating one. Even the auctioneers don't have any. they're suppost to be as cheap as €50-60k at the moment but i can't find them anywhere.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I'm no expert so could be totally wrong but I was of the opinion that you had to buy a specific Off-Licence licence which were in the region of 110-130K (not exactly sure on the price).

Was not aware that you could use an on-sales (pub) licence for an off-licence but if you can all the better for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeah, any pub licence entitles you to sell takeaway drink. As far as I know you can get an off licence which doesn't require you to extinguish an existing pub licence, but it won't allow you to sell beer, because beer is extra especially dangerous and can only be sold by wealthy -- and therefore trustworthy -- individuals.

OP: you could try the VFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

Apparently there the same but you just need to apply via plannin to change its type.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    it won't allow you to sell beer, because beer is extra especially dangerous and can only be sold by wealthy -- and therefore trustworthy -- individuals.
    Can they sell spirits?

I remember a few convenience stores and garages used to sell just wine, no beer or spirits. And restaurants need a beer licence (or whatever it is called, I mean many just sell wine), though my mates father owned a restaurant and if he donated enough to the "garda benelovent fund" each year they stranglely never checked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

According to the book "The Licensed Trade; A Users Handbook", there is three licences applicable here you will probably need; one each for beer, spirits and wine. In the case of Beer and/or spirits, an existing licence/s needs to be extinguished in order for you to apply for it's transfer whereas a Wine Licence can be created from new. A licence from anywhere within the State can be used by you apart from a Hotel Licence so keep looking as there are always a few rural pubs on the market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement