Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Blue Screen after Windows Update: 0x0000007E

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Aye had a few of these myself. Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

mods: sticky please?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved to windows. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

I have a wee bit of a prob , i never got a xp disc with my pc am i going to have to buy a new one ???

u might have to buy a media kit from microsoft or whoever your hardware vendor is (dell, hp etc)

• Advertisement

u might have to buy a media kit from microsoft or whoever your hardware vendor is (dell, hp etc)
    I think i may have gotten around it with a download from microsoft

"Windows XP Home Edition Utility: Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install
    Brief Description
    The Windows XP startup disk allows computers without a bootable CD-ROM to perform a new installation of the operating system. The Windows XP startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-ROM drive and start a new installation of Setup."

its only the startup disk, used to boot the computer id your computer won't boot off a CD-ROM.

you stilll need the CD

its only the startup disk, used to boot the computer id your computer won't boot off a CD-ROM.

you stilll need the CD
    yep you where right :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This helpful hint above bookmarked for future reference. Cheers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console (see this Microsoft article for help with this step http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307654)
    Once you are in the Repair Screen..
    2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
    3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
    4. Type this command: systemroot
    5. When complete, type this command: exit
    Your computer should restart and everything should be back to normal.

Hi Matt, I tried this last night and these commands didn't work. Once in the repair screen I typed CHDIR which was fine, but the entire command CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst was not recognised. There is a list of recognised commands and they are all one-word commands such as CHDIR etc.

Any ideas what to do here? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?...

• Advertisement

what was the exact error that came out?

most likely didn't work because that specific update isn't on your machine, you may have a similar but unrelated issue.

what was the exact error that came out?

most likely didn't work because that specific update isn't on your machine, you may have a similar but unrelated issue.

The link that you gave http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/307654 has a specific list of 'command actions', so the error message was just that it didn't recognise the command

Edit: the machine was fine until the automatic Windows update, turned it back on the next day only to have this problem. My computer is about 5 years old but I still have the recovery CDs.

Is this problem caused by the windows update?

when u typed in chdir alone what happened??

when u typed in chdir alone what happened??

When I typed that and hit return, c:\windows came up twice

what happens when you type in CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$

what happens when you type in CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$

It just says that it doesn't recognise this command. It seems to only recognise the commands in that microsoft link you gave in the first post. By typing LIST the list of commands appears also

that command i gave you just there is slichetly different.

chdir is a command to chande directory. cd is the same command.

by typing chdir $NtUninstallKB977165$ you are asking the computer to change the current directory to a directory called $NtUninstallKB977165$

if it pops up with an error it is because the directory doesn't exist.

If this directory doesn't exist it means the patch above isn't installed, or the uninstall information is't present.

if the patch isn't installed it means you have a different problem.

if the uninstall information isn't present it means you will either have to manually uninstall the patch KB977165 (if it has been installed) or reinstall windows.

can you try typing: cd $NtUninstallKB977165$
    if that works can you type dir

then post up here what the dir command spits out.

Ok here's what it said when I typed cd $NtUninstallKB977165$
    ....and then typed...dir:

The volume in drive C has no label
    The volume serial number is blah....
    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\$ntuninstallkb977165$
    2/21/10 11:23p d--h-c-- 0.
    2/21/10 11:23p d--h-c-- 0..
    08/04/09 04:13p
    c-- 2145280 ntkrnlmp.exe
    08/04/09 03:20p
    c-- 2023936 ntkrnlpa.exe
    c-- 2066048 ntkrnlpa.exe.000
    c-- 2023936 ntkrpamp.exe
    08/04/09 04:13p
    c-- 2145280 ntoskrnl.exe
    08/04/09 08.44p
    c-- 2189184 ntoskrnl.exe.000
    02/21/10 11:23p d----c-- 0 spuninst

9 file<s> 12593664 bytes
    109827055616 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\$NTUNINSTALLKB977165$:

....hope this makes sense!!!

looks like the spuninstall folder is missing....

let me have a look into it and see if there a manual uninstall guide.
    you may need to reinstall windows, or do a repair on windows.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tiny chance the files needed might be in system restore folder

buy you'd need something like a linux live CD to find and rename the files, yes you can do it at the recovery console but life's too short for that sort of masochism

• Advertisement

agreed, i think reinstall of windows without formatting the drive, recover all your data then reinstall with format.

if you have a space computer plug the harddrive from this machine into it and recover all your info then rebuild IMO

agreed, i think reinstall of windows without formatting the drive, recover all your data then reinstall with format.

Thanks for the advice folks. How would I go about reinstalling windows as per above? Hoping to do all of this myself, as I recently shelled out 80euro to get rid of the "Internet Security 2010" virus only to see fix for it on boards.

I only have the one computer so wouldn't be able to plug the harddrive into anything else.

if you don't know what you're doing i would personally suggest you get someone to do it.

if you don't know anyone PM me.
    M

If I just get a new windows cd, can i reinstall? Not too worried about losing files

Yes u can, depending on ur system specs windows cd media I think is about 60ish but u might have to buy a windows 7 cd cos I think xp is end of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

FYI, this is also affecting windows server 2003. Was doing some cert work earlier and it happened.

Advertisement