Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady

Options
  • 17-02-2010 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, this is my first time posting here but needed to get some opinions. Hope its in the right place. It may seem kinda trivial though.

I was renting for the last 2 years with a work colleague in a 2 bed house. Our lease was up last week and i would have renewed it only the landlady emailed to say she was selling up. In the 2 years we lived there we never had to contact her only for anything, we only seen her once to sign new lease last year. We treated the place like it was our own really looking after it.

A week prior to moving out i painted all the whites, doors, skirting bathrooms, cleaned and scrubbed everything that could be cleaned, defosted freezer, garden was immaculate etc.

I left flowers and a card for her as i couldnt make it to collect our deposit with my house mate.

Today i received a voice mail from her, freaking over stains in the carpet (which was cream) she said its going to cost her a fortune to have them cleaned and how she thought we would have treated her home better!!!

Should i ring her back? there was by no means deliberate damage done to the carpets, just general wear and tear! Shouldnt she have expected this after 2 years!

This was my first time ever renting, is this behaviour the norm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

gem1980 wrote: »
    This was my first time ever renting, is this behaviour the norm?

is that type of behavious right no, norm sadly yes. Alot of landlord's seem to do this if posts on the forum are anything to go by.

Has she returned your deposit? If she has then I'd ignore her and move on. If she hasn't and is claiming cost of carpet cleaning from it she needs to provide you with a bill for the cleaning and show the stain/damage wasn't normal wear and tear. Did you take pictures of the place before leaving? Did your flatmate go through the place with your landlady and check everything before handing over keys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gem1980

Hi

Yes thats the strange thing, full deposit returned to us and happy as larry when my house met her there last week.

What i cant get is why she was so mad to ring up and leave that msg, does she think i going to ring back and offer to pay?

Your right tho best to ignore it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Some people are just special like that, the 'Ranting and Raving' form is full of stories like yours, but less calm :)

Advertisement