Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Smoking

Options
  • 17-02-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone,
    Looking for some information nad opinions on smoking and social smoking for a college assignment so any help greatly appreciated :)

What do you consider a social smoker?
    What are your views on social smoking?
    Describe briefly your experiences of the smoking room? (i.e what have you observed about smokers and social smokers??)

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Janulus wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Looking for some information nad opinions on smoking and social smoking for a college assignment so any help greatly appreciated :)

Describe briefly your experiences of the smoking room? (i.e what have you observed about smokers and social smokers??)

Thanks a mill

What do you consider a social smoker? somebody who only smokes when drinking or out with friends who smoke

What are your views on social smoking? if they buy their own smokes its fine with me, but sickens me to see some of them throwing away 3/4 of a fag

Describe briefly your experiences of the smoking room? (i.e what have you observed about smokers and social smokers??) you can usually tell a social smoker in a pub because they either tend to smoke something awful like pall mall blues (or whatevers on offer in the first 2 buttons of the fag machine inside) , either that or if they wont buy smokes theres 2 scenarios , 1)male) will send his girlfriend/bird he picked up round to scab smokes off different lads or if by himself will chat up the fat bird that smokes ,

2)female) will go round with her tits squashed between her arms begging the male singletons or groups of just lads for a smoke, in severe cases will rob the smoke from your mouth as they know you wont hit them , but nobody ever said tripping her up and calling her a fat mess was a deck worthy offence :D
    my 2 cents

Someone whom only smokes in certain situations (surrounded by others)

It's, to me, retarded. It strikes me as a person who smokes to 'fit in' with others, or who conforms to peer pressure, etc.

Describe briefly your experiences of the smoking room?

Haven't had much experience in said 'smoking rooms' but I do notice that, in my own personal experiences, social smokers will usually smoke in an attempt to stay with friends or to 'break the ice' with a member of ye olde opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Janulus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I think it's stupid.
    If someone is a "Social smoker" (meaning
    they smoke more than 1/4 of a fag",95% of them are full time smokers after a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What do you consider a social smoker? Someone who smokes with their friends, but never alone.

What are your views on social smoking? Dumb people. Too late they'll cop on that they're "social smoking" not only when drinking, but also with people in work, with people on the street, when there's no-one else nearby... :pac:

Describe briefly your experiences of the smoking room? Tell them smoking is bad for them, and continue smoking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GM071class

Janulus wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks a mill

Social Smokers are normally lying about their habit,
    I don't like the idea of social smoking,
    Ever since I gave up smoking cigarettes, and now only smoke my pipe, Cigars, and Cigarillo's (normally Cafe Creme) I can't understand why anyone would just desire a cigarette once or twice a week when out.
    I just don't see the enjoyment in that,

Normal (fulltime) smokers spend, in certain venues, the whole time outside. The social smoker will tend to come in and go out of the smoking area. Couple of drags from their smoke when they get outside, then its on the floor, and hey-presto, they're back in with the group!

Regards,
    Matt,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

Anyone who smokes in a social situation, for example like outside a pub because they want to feel part of the crowd.If you go out with only people who smoke then you can't sit in the pub on your own while your mates smoke outside.

I feel people do it to fit in but they are not completely addicted to smoking. My view is it's pathetic, because I look down on people who do something that's dangerous to their health, just to fit in and no other reason. Stand on your own 2 feet and don't act like a sheep doing what everyone else is doing.

Describe briefly your experiences of the smoking room?
    People who smoke a pack a day because they are addicted to nicotine, like me, understand the risks of cancer hovering over them like a dark cloud, but social smokers seems to think that smoking a couple of fags in a social situation does no harm. "Sure it's only a few cigarettes, it won't do me any harm."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gdonald2007

The social smoker would be, me ;)
    Thoughts of quitting 40yrs
    Started Effexor 1yr 500mg/day
    Upped Effexor to 1000mg/day 2mos ago.
    Got 1wks patches, gum from Doc.
    Quit Mar4, Mar8 smoked my very last backup smoke.
    Withdrawal 0%, maybe a little sleep.
    Dropped back down to 500mg
    Mar30 (22days)
    One cigarette butted/started 3 times.
    Today, yesterday 0 cigs.
    DNA-Cessation, New discovery.

Social Smoking? Do you really know yourself?

The smoking room? Where's that down the hall? No really if it's the groups you mean? I just went to a link that was bugged, some stories are ok. With me I never read up on what to expect from quitting until nothing happened. I never tryed before, just talked to people who have quit and vise versa. I'm from Alberta and the Government is making it real easy to quit.

My biggest mental block was worried about getting sick. I also have a secret about my stop and if you want to know, drop a line, i'm considering pulling a Gates.

Smoking rooms for smoking don't exist here anymore, the one and only place where you can have a drink and a smoke is at home. Pretty soon no smoking in public, period. And oh yeah, they stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

GM071class wrote: »
    Couple of drags from their smoke when they get outside, then its on the floor, and hey-presto, they're back in with the group!
    F**king emo's phags have a habit of doing this. Luckily, the emo's don't like rollies, and thus piss off.
    bl8ckh8art wrote: »
    I feel people do it to fit in but they are not completely addicted to smoking.
    I wonder how many smokers start off as social smokers? I'd say not many smokers start off as social smokers, but most social smokers end up as smokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

I would describe myself as a social smoker.

I smoke when I'm out drinking, and I'll have one now and then if the weather's nice and I can sit out with a coffee, or sometimes in the evenings after dinner.

I buy my own cigarettes, I inhale them fully, and I don't do it to fit in or anything, I do it because it feels nice.

I think that the idea that they're only pleasurable when you're addicted is a load of bollocks. In fact, I find that with increased frequency, their effects seem to diminish.

It's been 3 years since I started. I don't recall ever smoking more than 2 or 3 any day when I'm not out drinking, and any more than one in a day would be odd for me (and tbh, it's 0 most days). Though I have felt the addictive pull from them on occasion, I have gone fairly long stretches without smoking.

To me, it's a short lasting, subtle, pleasurable feeling that goes well with things like alcohol and caffeine.

Tbh, I can't get my head around the thought of smoking 20+ a day, I see nicotine as being something where "less is more" very much applies.

Healthwise, I'm not foolish enough to think it's doing me no harm, but it's very hard to find non-biased studies on the negative effects of such light smoking.

Advertisement