Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FireAlarm is hypersensitive

• 17-02-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

not sure if this is better suited here or elsewhere, but my fire alarm in my kitchen is supersensitive to smoke (like going off if you toast some bread), so it became impossible to cook. i took out the battery, but it kept going off anyway, so it must be connected to the mains.

resorted to covering it up with tinfoil, but that has bad idea written all over it.

is there some way i can adjust it to be less sensitive?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Im no expert on the subject and you might just be better off buying a new fire alarm, but you could connect a variable resistor onto the smoke sensor.

Keep in mind though, messing with your fire alarm isnt the greatest idea as they are sensitive for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Hoover it! gets dirt etc. trapped in the smoke detector out.

Usually you would have a heat detector in a kitchen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fire alarms use a radioactive element and a detector to monitor smoke particles. A simple resistor won't desensitise it.
    They also aren't supposed to be installed in a kitchen area. Move it to the hall or an adjoining room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Fire alarms use a radioactive element and a detector to monitor smoke particles. A simple resistor won't desensitise it.
    They also aren't supposed to be installed in a kitchen area. Move it to the hall or an adjoining room.
    this thread is very old lol. fwiw, i covered it in tin foil. proably a bad idea, but it worked:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Tin-foil hat it is then!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Penny1624

Does the tin-foil hat really work?
    My smoke alarm goes off everytime I use my oven and I'm sure my neighbours hate to see me coming home from work cos it's usually going off within a few minutes. I was worried about covering it up in case it made it go off when there was no oxygen or something. Is there any chance this could happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

it worked a charm. make sure to wrap it around the base (ceiling) tightly. almost airproof. however, im sure in the even of a real fire, you're gonna be ****** and insurance probably wont cover you.

i dont have insurance and ive another fire alarm nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

My alarm is the complete same, but I'm glad, you should be too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sadim

fools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Sorry sadim, you cant argue against science.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Normally a "rate of rise" heat detector is used in a kitchen for just this reason. It looks for a rapid increase in heat. This rapid heat change would be caused by a fire rather than a cooker.

OP, if I were you I would just change the detector type. It will be compatible with the standard smoke detector wiring (domestic type).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SYNERGY_RC

A lot of the main's smoke's have the same base as the heat detectors http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31t3QgL2wcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Unclip it from it's base and bring it to a electrical wholesaler and they should be able to help you out. If your finding it hard to unclip the base try googleing the brand and I'm sure someone willl have tips up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    not sure if this is better suited here or elsewhere, but my fire alarm in my kitchen is supersensitive to smoke (like going off if you toast some bread), so it became impossible to cook. i took out the battery, but it kept going off anyway, so it must be connected to the mains.

resorted to covering it up with tinfoil, but that has bad idea written all over it.

is there some way i can adjust it to be less sensitive?

replace the smoke detector with a heat detector... problem solved.

kitchens should never have smoke detectors in them... they should always be heat detectors. that way unless its 100 degrees c or more it wont go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Dr Expired

Fook it out and buy a new one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

put the smoke detectors somewhere else and like others have said get a different type of sensor

optical or heat

Don't forget that normal , ionisation, smoke detectors have a ~ ten year life and should be replaced then anyway.

We used to use the smoke detector to make toast, when the alarm went off the toast was nicely brown

Advertisement