Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my soul, what discount can I get?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking at buying a new 7-seater bus / mammywagon (despite what I said on this thread) after
    1) coming to the conclusion that I can't afford a new SUV-style 7-seater and (budget 27-32k, including the value of my '01 320i)
    2) having looked at a few 2nd hand XC90's and Discos, I'm not prepared to roll the dice on something that's had the sh1te driven out of it.

The plan is now to buy a family car new (nice shiny 2/3 year warranty etc), and later on get something cheap that I can have a bit of fun in (this was also suggested by one of the posters on my previous thread, but I had to come around myself to entertain the thought of getting an MPV).

I've been looking at the Grand Scenic III, the Corolla Verso, the Zafira and 5008.

(I've also looked at the Qashqai+2 and Santa Fé, but you're looking at the guts of 40k there).

These cars all come in around my budget (I like my gadgets, so I'm looking at the non-poverty spec versions (TomTom, Sol, Elite and SV respectively), but I've noticed a fair variance of discounts offered for straight deals (from €1900 for a Verso, €2k for the Peugeot, €3.5k for the Renault and 45K on the Zafira) and trade-ins (about €4500 for the Verso and €6k each for the Opel and Renault (Peugeot dealer will give me a trade in price on Saturday).

Here's my question: On paper, it looks like I'd be better off selling privately and going with the Opel; €5k discount for cash is a fair chunk - would it be reasonable to try to get a similar discount from the other marques I've mentioned (playing them off against each other), or do each of them have different upper bounds on what they can offer for cash? At the moment I've only seen one dealer for each of four MPVs mentioned above , I will ring around a few more to see if there is any difference between dealers in a given marque.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think that purely from a looks point of view you should also include the Citroen C4 Picasso in your list.
    There's one driving past here every day and I think it's a particularly nice looking mommy-wagon.
    Also Citroen traditionally have given very good discounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Selling privately will almost always be cheaper - but it's also a bit more hastle.

@OP - have you driven all of the options mentioned above? I know they're all mummywagons of one sort or another, but they're not all the same - Zafira in particular brought out a very strong negative reaction from my wife when we had one as a rental (she said she'd drive it off a cliff rather than drive it anywhere else again!)

A friend of mine picked up a 5008 last week over spending the guts of a year looking at various MPVs, and picked it over a similar list of also rans.

I'd suggest you drive them all and try and get to a short(er) list, then do some leg work and call into a few garages and see what you can get in terms of a deal when you're standing in the showroom ready to buy.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I've driven the 106 bhp Scenic, and was pleasantly surprised at its motorway performance, I will be driving the Opel and the Pug on Saturday. I've sat into the Toyota but not driven it yet (was the petrol version, I will be buying a diesel) but will have my hands on a diesel on Friday. I've done a fair bit of research into the pros and cons of the four I mentioned and will be better informed after having driven them all by this weekend. I will try the C4 as well (thanks Peasant!) and hopefully will have a short list by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As I normally say in these threads, I discount the Zafira from these lists (for me I mean) I had a couple as hire cars and did'nt liek anythign about them, the missus was the same. Everything was square and clunky. The seats were much more awkward to manouver compared to our 2 Scenic's we've had (Scenic I & II ) . Our next car will be a Scenic III with the possibility of the C4 Picasso.

Other than that, drive them all and see what you think. Bring a buggy and other bits and pieces you'd normally have with you. Have a good play around with the seats and loading your gear. It's not going to be a car you'll be tacking on a track so practicallity is your key here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Can I throw a Galaxy or S-max into the mix. Even a year old one?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Galaxy/1.8-TDCI/200947195949689/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

EPM wrote: »
    Can I throw a Galaxy or S-max into the mix. Even a year old one?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Galaxy/1.8-TDCI/200947195949689/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif

Galaxy (and S-Max I think?) are a segment up from the cars mentioned though. They'd be in the list with the Espace, 806 , C8 , do Toyota still do the Previa or equivellant? etc.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Galaxy (and S-Max I think?) are a segment up from the cars mentioned though. They'd be in the list with the Espace, 806 , C8 , do Toyota still do the Previa or equivellant? etc.

True, but if also looking at a Santa Fe there may not be a size limitation and IMO is a nicer option

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Galaxy (and S-Max I think?) are a segment up from the cars mentioned though.

Yes, I like my S-Max, but it's a 40K machine new, not 32K.

The S-Max isn't bad, but I'd be keen on a Titanium spec and, again, you're talking about 38-39k for a new one here (Irish Titanium spec are like hen's teeth 2nd hand, it would seem). The Galaxy is dearer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Yakuza wrote: »
    (Irish Titanium spec are like hen's teeth 2nd hand, it would seem).

I'm not surprised. The Ford salesman actually pointed out there there was nothing worth having in the Titanium spec bar the Sony stereo, which we got cheaper as an upgrade in our Zetec.

• Advertisement

Yes, I like my S-Max, but it's a 40K machine new, not 32K.

There are ones for 33k new online. Surely a bit of bargaining...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yakuza wrote: »
    The S-Max isn't bad, but I'd be keen on a Titanium spec and, again, you're talking about 38-39k for a new one here (Irish Titanium spec are like hen's teeth 2nd hand, it would seem). The Galaxy is dearer again.

When we bought our Galaxy new, in 07, it worked out cheaper than an S-Max and adding the extra seats/options/etc.

I'd assume that should still hold, used..............no ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Other than that, drive them all and see what you think. Bring a buggy and other bits and pieces you'd normally have with you. Have a good play around with the seats and loading your gear. It's not going to be a car you'll be tacking on a track so practicallity is your key here.
    I'd echo this - show up for the test drive with the kids, car seats, buggys, whoever normally travels in the car with you - pack'em all in. There's no point in pottering around in a machine like this with just the sales person.... It won't be like that when you're in it day-to-day....

But don't try to do the deal with the kids in the showroom - they'll drive you batty..... I've been there :D

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

EPM wrote: »
    There are ones for 33k new online. Surely a bit of bargaining...

The current model is due to go out of production with the facelift coming. Production starts / stops in March for April delivery so that's probably why current stock is so cheap.

1.8Tdci engine is being discontinued as they have the 2.0Tdci up to Emission V standard. CO2 down to 152 for the manual (was 164 for the 1.8 and 159 for the 2.0Tdci), but the big news is that they are going to offer the Powershift with the 2.0TDCi (159g emissions) and for a limit time it will be free!

free powershift offer may also apply to new Mondeo orders for a limited time too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The C4 Picasso is quite nice to drive, and plenty of room in it too.

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    I'd echo this - show up for the test drive with the kids, car seats, buggys, whoever normally travels in the car with you - pack'em all in. There's no point in pottering around in a machine like this with just the sales person.... It won't be like that when you're in it day-to-day....

But don't try to do the deal with the kids in the showroom - they'll drive you batty..... I've been there :D

Paddy
    Yep, I've already done this with the Renault; Renault sales guy and myself up front, wife and both kids in middle row (including putting in my child seats) in. Any deals will be done on another day, that's for sure :)

Advertisement