Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question on servicing the car

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I would have posted this in the Service your own car thread but it's been closed so apologies for starting a new thread.

When servicing the car, I am wondering about jacking and supporting the car thus...

1. Jack up the car
    2. Support with axle stands
    3. Get under car and open sump, collect oil etc

Now at this stage, do you need to let the car back down (I'd imagine it needs to return to level to get as much of the oil out as possible) ???

If, so, you then need to raise the car back up in ordfer to get under it and replace the sump bolt. Then you need to let it down again as it needs to be level when replacing the oil for accurate readings.

So, are we talkig about jacking the car up and letting it down multiple times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah jack it up support on stands, open sump nut, jack it up take out the stand, let the car down, when the oil stops comin out jack it up again support with stand, replace the sumpnut and oil filter at this stage, drop it again and fill with oil, make sure ya smear a drop of oil around the rubber ring on the new oil filter aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 81,218 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I normally leave it jacked up until I am putting the new oil in. The sump nut in mine is facing towards the back of the car so leaving it jacked up drains the last of it. Make sure you run the car beforehand to get the oil hot so it flows out easier.

Advertisement