Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP MCE log-in keyboard strange issue

Options
  • 17-02-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Good day all,

I've a strange issue with a Dell 1501 Inspiron laptop, running XP MCE '04, that I've been asked to fix.

At the windows log-in the keyboard map is wrong. When one presses "o" one gets "y", and so on.

The only correctly working keys are "h" and "1" and "2".

Obviously this makes entering a password next to impossible.

I've checked the obvious: num lock, scroll lock and caps lock. I've run the usual scans, root kit checkers antiviruse etc. to no avail, not that I was expecting anything odd.

The really strange thing is that when logged in there is no problem, everything is as it should be. Keyboard works fine.

I've connected another USB keyboard and the issue at log-in persisted.

I've worked around this by clearing all passwords and switching to fast user switching.

But it isn't fixed, and I dislike a puzzle that can't be solved.

Any ideas?

WildeFalcon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Polar101

I had a similar problem once and it was fixed by pressing fn+sys rq or maybe fn+num lock.

Might not do any good in your case, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

login as admin and change keyboard settings to English Ireland AND set as default for system

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll try the Fn option if the laptop comes back.

I'd already cleared out the non-irish keyboards so It isn't that. Loging in as admin isn't easy when you've to type the password on a keyboard that is all over the place!!

The workaround (no passwords) is good so far.

WildeFalcon

Advertisement