Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy one, get one half price at Jameson Dublin International Film Festival plus comp!

Options
  • 17-02-2010 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Phew, trying to fit all of that into one headline was a bit of a stretch! Anyhow, the lovely people over at the Jameson Dublin International Film Festival have been in touch to offer two things:
    • Competition Prizes
    • A Buy one, get one half price offer for tickets.

Both are for two great films showing this weekend -

Capitalism: A Love Story - Saturday 20 Feb / Savoy 1 / 11.00am

moore%20with%20police%282%29.jpg
    On the 20-year anniversary of his groundbreaking Roger & Me, Michael Moore’s Capitalism: A Love Story returns to the issue he’s examined throughout his career: The disastrous impact of corporate dominance on the everyday lives of Americans and citizens of the world.

Tickets are normally €10 but to get two tickets for €15, visit this link.

Accident - Sunday 21 Feb / Savoy 1 / 11.00am

accident%282%29.jpg
    Accident is one of the finest Hong Kong crime dramas in years, a psychologically fascinating thriller concerning a gang of professional assassins, who make perfectly staged murders look like unfortunate accidents. When a job goes badly wrong, they suspect somebody is planning an 'accident' for them.

Tickets are normally €10 but to get two tickets for €15, visit this link.

We also have two pairs of tickets to give away to each film. To be in with a chance, just tell us what film at the Film Festival, even if it's one of the above, you'd most like to see and why!

Don't know what's on? Check out their website here. You'll find them on twitter at @dublinfilmfest.

We'll pick winners on Friday 19 February at lunchtime. It's open to all members.

Cheers :)

Darragh
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Might as well enter :)

Most anticipated film? Easily Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans. Why? For me there is something fascinating about Werner Herzog - one of the world's most endearingly eccentric directors - and Nicholas Cage - a mainstream Hollywood actor who has dabbled in his share of offbeat projects - teaming up. Even if it turns out to be failure, such a weird combination will surely be something to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The Surprise Film. Why? Cos you enter the theatre with absolutely no expectations about the film you're about to see. And sometimes it's a film that I wouldn't normally go to but really enjoyed when it was thrust upon me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

at the end of a handful of movies I sometimes wonder what would have happened to the characters afterwards.

Happiness was one of those movies.

would love to see the sequel , Life During Wartime, so stick my name into the pot for free tickets please

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

I would love tickets to see Capitalism: A Love Story, I would love to see this film to understand how Capitalism can dominate a huge country like the USA and also to try and compare Governments around the world to see just how Capitalist Governments really are...

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Yes Life during Wartime would be my pick too definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

The film? Shutter Island.

The why? Two reasons. The first is that it's one of my most anticipated movies of the year (there's proof on my blog, I swear!). Scorcese is a master and it'll be interesting to see Paramount's coulda-been Oscar contender.

The second is more personal. With things the way they are, the better half and myself imposed a no-spending limit on Valentines, so we just did the sweet/crap (depending on how cynical you are) thing of "making" each other gifts. Anyway, she is a huge Scorcese and Dicaprio fan. And she never got to see The Departed in cinemas (in my defense - it was just before we started going out). I organised a "cinema-style" screening for her as a gift, calling in all manner of favours and a borrowed projector (and borrowing cup/popcorn holders from actual cinemas). It would be great to bring her to another Dicaprio/Scorcese collaboration in an actual cinema for a premiere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I want those tickets.
    Please. :D

The film I would most like to see is New York, I Love You.
    Mainly because it is the most amazing city in the world and is somewhere that I really have affection for and would like to see what sort of views others have with regards to the city and how they would transfer that to screen.

Plus it is packed with great acting talent and some promising up and coming directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I really want to see Tim Burton's take on the Lewis Carroll classic Alice in Wonderland. He always brings a unique visual style to his work with a dark aspect that other film makers would tend to whitewash over. A great cast with from the up-and coming Mia Wasikowska to the Burton strongholds of Depp and Bonham Carter, he even includes two of my favourite actors Stephen Fry and Alan Rickman.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭YeAh!

I would really like to see Cairo Time.
    I think Patricia Clarkson is an brilliant actress. I've heard this film won an award in the Toronto Film Festival. I've read reviews and watched some trailers and the film appears to contain different themes such as love, loyalty and solitude and deals with them by a cheerful, high-spirited approach. Certainly my cup of tea.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd love to see Accident.

Reading reviews/previews of it, words like "gripping", "great cinematic pleasures", "intoxicating sensation", "carefully-choreographed", "effortless" etc really piques my curiosity. "The finest Hong Kong crime drama since Infernal Affairs" is enough to get me in the door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Life During Wartime is definitely the one I'm looking forward to most. Enjoyed Happiness a lot, and to see Paul Reubens(Pee Wee Hermann) acting again on the big screen will be a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is the one I'm looking forward to most, having read the trilogy I'm interested to see how they bring it to the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Capitalism - a love story, because i work for a big evil corporation in Leixlip and my Fianceé works for the HSE which is like a big evil corporation but with less money and power and still makes life hell for loads of people (plus we haven;t had a night out in ages)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I would love to see Accident as my folks always refer to me as an accident and I want to try and understand myself a bit better!!

frAg

I'd really like to see I love You Phillip Morris...

Big Jim Carrey fan and I think its about time he took on the role of a gay conman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

I'd love to see Capitalism: A Love Story, as I want to know Capitalism is helping to fund my extravagant lifestyle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Has to be Alice in Wonderland

Never wanted to see a movie so much in my life + Its the first movie to gain a PG rating for containing fantasy action/violence and for a smoking caterpillar

It's gonna be Amazing! :)

At the risk of ruling myself out of the competition for impatience :D
    ....have the winners been drawn yet ?

Gollem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks all for entering - I've picked the winners at random and will drop them all a PM now. Your tickets will be on the desk under your name and Boards.ie :)

Cheers

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Just to confirm (in case you miss the PM), it's a pair of tickets for each winner :)

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill Darragh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Back from Capitalism: A Love Story - typically enjoyable and angry Michael Moore film. He may not be the most balanced documentary maker out there, but his films are always passionate and worth a watch. Cheers for the tickets :)

Really enjoyed Accident this morning. Very interesting film. I looked out for you Darragh to thank you personally but no joy.

I enjoyed Capitalism : a love story. It was actually my first time to see a Michael Moore movie in full but I was familiar with his style.

I found it to be compelling, raised a few ideas that I hadn't considered before ( eg :the timing of the US Bank Bail out deal ).

It contained a good mixture of emotional scenes ( a soon to be redundant factory worker in tears saying that his co-workers were his second family )

There were also some humourous scenes eg: Moore wrapping buildings in Wall Street with "crime scene" tape.

I also went to see the "quasi-sequel" to Happiness, Life During Wartime.

definitely worth the 10€. Several humourous though uncomfortable scenes which people who have seen Happiness will be familiar with. However it was a very different movie from the original. It is set 10 years on from the original. The father played in the happiness movie by Dylan Baker is played by Irish actor Ciaran Hinds in Life During Wartime. Fans of The Wire take note , Omar Little also features :). in summary an excellent cast.

A Q&A session with Ciaran Hinds followed the film. Ciaran conveyed an idea that the director, Todd Solondz was very specific but hinted that he might be extremely pedantic. spending hours upon hours trying to get the perfect scene.

looking forward to checking out a few more movies this weekend.

Any chance of any more BOGOF's ?

Advertisement