Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel Grouping

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Wondering if ye can help, I have a workbook with some 50+ pages in it (Excel 2007) I have an index sheet at the start of the book but its not great.

I was wondering is there a way to group the worksheets so that I can select a group and those worksheets will show up at the bottom where the tabs are

like say 50+ sheets

10 sheets CASH related
    10 Sheets PROJECT related
    10 sheets WAGES related
    10 sheets SALES related
    and 10 sheets PURCHASES related

Is there a way to categorise the sheets so that if i say click on CASH the 10 sheets will show up and i can select the particular sheet within that section. but without having to scroll all the back to the index sheet and I have the tabs coloured

I hope this makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Did you consider creating a series of macros to take you to the first sheet in each section - you could then assign the macro to a button on the index

Another macro button on each sheet to take you back to the index would close the loop

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Boom Boom

Hi Homer911

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I don't have an idea on how to write macros. I thought their might be some quick fix solution to the problem.

Maybe the fix is i should go and learn Macros.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Heres a simple example of a button to take you from one sheet to another

Use the Developer Ribbon/Developer Mode to change it or copy it

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Jumping onto Homer's bandwagon, you could easily use the button to do what you need.

If you go to the developer mode and double click on the button, you can enter a simple macro for when it is clicked.
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        Sheets("Sheet2").Visible = True
        Sheets("Sheet2").Select
        Sheets("Index").Visible = False
    End Sub

So what this does is when the button is clicked, it un-hides the Sheet2 and then selects it, then closes the index.

For your purpose, you can expand it so that when you click on the button it unhides the 10 sheets you want to display. (small note also is that you would need a button in each of the 10 sheets to bring you back to your index) Let me know if you want me to stick up an example.

Hope this helps!!

Advertisement