Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my exhaust falling off?

Options
  • 17-02-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Stupid rain covered enormous potholes.

Horrible "thunk" sound when I go over a bump. I'm a bit worried about driving it to the garage. I thought it might be something bouncing around in the boot, but cleared that and the sound is still there.

Not sure whether to chance driving it to a garage. :confused:

Total novice obviously. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm not an expert but if it were me, assuming the car is a decent enough make and reasonably new like less than 5-8 years old and assuming you haven't exacerbated an existing corrosion problem, it's probably okay to drive.

If you can't see anything visibly hanging down, just chance getting it to the nearest garage/ exhaust centre to you. An exhaust backbox fell off on me while I was driving once and it got jammed under the car but aside from having to get down on my hunkers and free it, there was no consequence.

If you're convinced it's about to fall off- invoke the free roadside assistance you probably have on your insurance policy.

This is of course assuming that you can be sure it is the exhaust and not a suspension prob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Thanks for the advice. No, the car is ancient and booked in for NCT next week. :(

I'll try to get it to a garage, I was hoping to use the NCT fee as a guide as to what I needed to get done.

Corrosion and suspension? Oh God. I am broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

The banging sound eludes to a bracket worn, corroded or loose, likely to be along the mid exhaust section. If your exhaust was broken the whole neighbourhood would hear about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Weather you like it or not your going to have to look under the car or get someone else to look.

Advertisement