Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edit startmenu/taskbar logout xp

Options
  • 17-02-2010 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I want to edit the logout button on windows xp and add in a custom script before they logout. I've been looking into resouce hacker/resource editor editing "explorer.exe" and tweak UI but can't find any options that i can use.

At a basic level all i'd need to do is replace the menu item "log off $user" with my own and forward it to a custom written program that simulates the same thing (ie greying the screen with a confirmation and then forwarding the request to logout once the user has done this).

At this stage i'm just wondering can it be done and any ideas people have for further research. I've seen replacable taskbar/start menu for xp that turn it into a windows 7 style but i'm not sure if that's just replacing the bitmaps.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Group Policy will allow you to run logout scripts.

Please read the charter about HACKZ

editing a windows system exe is a big NO-NO

telling users they are logged out when they aren't is a huge NO-NO

let me guess - the app will present a logon screen to the next user, tell them their password is incorrect and then logout silently so the next logon screen is real ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement