Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My laptop has "failed to connect to the Windows service".

Options
  • 16-02-2010 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it's a Dell Inspiron 1521.

I loaded up my laptop last week and I noticed that after I entered my password and logged on, it took a very long time for the desktop to load. The screen was blank for at least 5 minutes. When it finally did load, a message popped up saying that it had "failed to connect to the Windows service". I tried opening a Microsoft Powerpoint presentation that I had on a USB and was going to work on and had no trouble with that. However, the internet wasn't working, even though the little "Wi-fi" light was on (Inspiron owners will know what that light is). I have tried loading up my laptop several times, each time saying that I failed to connect to the Windows service, and each time with no internet. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the Windows forum. This is more of a Windows request, you should get a better response here.

Sounds like the process for Windows connecting to wireless networks isnt loading. Maybe the driver isnt working.

Can you try a system restore?

If not maybe you will have to do a full format and reinstall :(

You would probably get a better response if you posted on a tech help forum. Google for one, there is loads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Did you get any error saying that McAfee needed to have its subscription renewed.

If so just uninstall McAfee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Can you boot into safe mode? Or even better, safe mode with networking. Maybe try do a windows update if you can log in with the second option.

Open an elevated command prompt and type the following

netsh winsock reset

Reboot and you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Sounds like the process for Windows connecting to wireless networks isnt loading. Maybe the driver isnt working.

Can you try a system restore?

If not maybe you will have to do a full format and reinstall :(

You would probably get a better response if you posted on a tech help forum. Google for one, there is loads ;)
    Thanks. Worked a treat. Laptop's back to normal now! :D

Advertisement