Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if Dan Reilly gets elected as SU president?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

What happens if Dan Reilly gets elected as SU president? He is obviously a joker and the mind boggles as to how an imbecile like him passed through the cracks to gain entry into Trinity.

But the enemy of an enemy becomes an ally in these circumstances. So if he wins the election will the SU finally collapse and consequently bring an end to the cancerous "hackism"? Will he even accept the role, and if yes, will he make a farce of it or is there some sort of higher authority that will impeach him if he attempts to implement any of his ridiculous proposals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭gaeilgeboy

It's quite doubtful he will, seeing as last years joke candidate got about 250 out of the total 4000 votes.

If he doesn't complete his constitutional duties, he can be removed by the referendum. The Oversight Commission keep an eye on SU officers with respect to breach of constitution/policy.

Well... if he gets elected he gets to sit on the College Board, go to loads of committees and loads of other fun things throughout his next year which he'd find out properly during the next few months. So I'd imagine he'd either:

1) Take it seriously, or
    2) Resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kicom

Dónal wrote: »
    Well... if he gets elected he gets to sit on the College Board, go to loads of committees and loads of other fun things throughout his next year which he'd find out properly during the next few months. So I'd imagine he'd either:

1) Take it seriously, or
    2) Resign.

0) Take the €16k and go on the pi$$.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Why does Dan Reilly get special mention? They are all equally vacuous, vain, horrible individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Denerick wrote: »
    Why does Dan Reilly get special mention? They are all equally vacuous, vain, horrible individuals.
    Oh, just give up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Jammyc wrote: »
    Oh, just give up!

It does get very tiresome alright. Top marks for consistency and dedication though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It does get very tiresome alright. Top marks for consistency and dedication though.

Zero marks for originality.

Zero marks for originality.

You have a marvellous ability to push in a slag the moment it gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

It does get very tiresome alright.

I dissagree. Can you imagine how boring this forum would be if everyone had moderate views and tried to engage in reasonable debate?

Besides, while they may not all be "vacuous, vain, horrible individuals", most of them are either pathetic hacks or opportunistic chancers. I know this discussion is focused on the elections, which is unfortunate because it's really in the lowest rungs of hackdom where the most pathetic people reside. And it is these people (and the knowledge that those at the top were probably one of them once) who really fuel the anti-SU sentiment in trinity.

Finally, I must say I have a new-found respect for groups such as youth defence and that animal rights crowd (although the latter could do with being more disruptive). I don't agree with them, but don't you think they make the world a more intersting place? If everyone was "reasonable" who would we have to ridicule?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 likelylad

Fo Real, I think you are missing the point here. Dan Reilly is going up as a joke candidate. He doesn't expect nor want to be elected. His policies are not meant to be taken seriously. Tis all done for the crack!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

likelylad wrote: »
    Fo Real, I think you are missing the point here. Dan Reilly is going up as a joke candidate. He doesn't expect nor want to be elected. His policies are not meant to be taken seriously. Tis all done for the crack!

Yes I understand this, but maybe we can take advantage of this idiot and actually elect him into office, thus taking bringing down the SU. The SU has a minimal impact on my college life (besides irritating the shít out of me) so I don't think we should waste money funding their little social circle.

Anybody see the pics of him in the University Times supplement? In every pose he has his head slightly raised so we can see his embarassing bum-fluff neck beard which he seems to be so proud of. And the sunglasses...ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 likelylad

'The SU has a minimal impact on my college life (besides irritating the shít out of me) so I don't think we should waste money funding their little social circle.'

I think you'll find that Dan Reilly actually agrees with this sentiment. It seems to me that this guy has got the right idea when it comes to being the 'joke candidate'. IT'S A JOKE!!! As for his appearance I think he's really cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Fo Real wrote: »
    Anybody see the pics of him in the University Times supplement? In every pose he has his head slightly raised so we can see his embarassing bum-fluff neck beard which he seems to be so proud of. And the sunglasses...ugh.

He reminded me of those bloody Eamon Gilmore election posters from last year. I actually quite like Gilmore (but he's such an uber-hack:pac:), but that jaunty head angle business boiled my blood.

All Dan is doing is aping this kind of wanker-ish-ness for comedic effect, so to give out about him as you would do any serious election candidate makes you look the fool.

The quality of his comedic efforts, that's a different debate. The Piranha certainly weren't impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cantankerous

devinejay wrote: »
    He reminded me of those bloody Eamon Gilmore election posters from last year. I actually quite like Gilmore (but he's such an uber-hack:pac:), but that jaunty head angle business boiled my blood.

You mean this one. He looks like a secret homosexual who's just thought of something "naughty".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Anatomist

Dan Reilly IS THE JOKE CANDIDATE. It's comedic subversion and the fact that you people are taking the bait and complaining openly about him is playing into his hands, he's having a go at CV building careerist SU hopefuls. He knows what he's doing and if you don't have the cop-on, the sense of humour or the intelligence to understand his type of subversion he doesn't care and he's not going to bother explaining himself to you.

Anatomist wrote: »
    Dan Reilly IS THE JOKE CANDIDATE. It's comedic subversion and the fact that you people are taking the bait and complaining openly about him is playing into his hands, he's having a go at CV building careerist SU hopefuls. He knows what he's doing and if you don't have the cop-on, the sense of humour or the intelligence to understand his type of subversion he doesn't care and he's not going to bother explaining himself to you.

Hi Dan!

Personally I think the 'subversion' argument is too weak. His ego is just as inflated as any other candidate. People who run as 'the joke candidate' really should get a life.

Yeah, I promise you I'm not Dan, but I do know him, and if you were at the speech he made at the dining hall steps you'd have seen how entertaining he was after listening to the same old "make the SU more accessible etc" crap from the other candidates. I don't think anyone has made such an elaborate attempt at being the joke candidate and his speech and manifesto were both genuinely funny to listen to and read.

Anatomist wrote: »
    Yeah, I promise you I'm not Dan, but I do know him, and if you were at the speech he made at the dining hall steps you'd have seen how entertaining he was after listening to the same old "make the SU more accessible etc" crap from the other candidates. I don't think anyone has made such an elaborate attempt at being the joke candidate and his speech and manifesto were both genuinely funny to listen to and read.

*Yawn* I'm sure your brother is the nicest guy ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Again, the irony.

devinejay wrote: »
    Again, the irony.

Again, thats crap...

• Advertisement

Hahaha, *yawn*, jesus. I wish I was his brother.

Advertisement