Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

They stole my car - Black Fiat Punto 97, ***Reward Offer***

Options
  • 16-02-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I went on holidays a couple of weeks ago and just returned to Dublin today. As usual I was going to park at the Quick Park in Dublin Airport as I probably did 30 times in the last 5 years but then at the last minute I had the brilliant idea to park along the road close to the airport (same road as where the Quick Park is) in line with another 20 cars that I saw there...I figure I could save 150€ and surely my car was going to be safe....who would ever stole a '97 Fiat Punto (not even in perfect exterior conditions), that has no € value whatsoever....how wrong I was! :(
    Note this is not an illegal parking, no indication of "no parking" anyway, nevertheless I was an idiot to believe I could park on the side of the road for two full weeks and not getting the car stolen :rolleyes:

I already went to the Airport Police and the Garda, but unfortunately they didn't clamp it :(

As I said the value of the car is close to nothing and have a fully comprehensive insurance, but this car has huge sentimental value for me and I am REALL UPSET as I have owned this car for 13 years and have no intention of changing it! I really just want my car back!

These are the details of the car:

FIAT PUNTO BLACK YEAR '97
    REG: 97L2810

My best bet is that somebody stole it in the airport area, drove it around and abbandon it somewhere, I would really appreciate if somebody saw this car and could let me know!

I will give a 200€ Reward to whoever can help me with useful info.

Appreciate your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

TripleAce wrote: »
    Hi,

I went on holidays a couple of weeks ago and just returned to Dublin today. As usual I was going to park at the Quick Park in Dublin Airport as I probably did 30 times in the last 5 years but then at the last minute I had the brilliant idea to park along the road close to the airport (same road as where the Quick Park is) in line with another 20 cars that I saw there...I figure I could save 150€ and surely my car was going to be safe....who would ever stole a '97 Fiat Punto (not even in perfect exterior conditions), that has no € value whatsoever....how wrong I was! :(
    Note this is not an illegal parking, no indication of "no parking" anyway, nevertheless I was an idiot to believe I could park on the side of the road for two full weeks and not getting the car stolen :rolleyes:

I already went to the Airport Police and the Garda, but unfortunately they didn't clamp it :(

As I said the value of the car is close to nothing and have a fully comprehensive insurance, but this car has huge sentimental value for me and I am REALL UPSET as I have owned this car for 13 years and have no intention of changing it! I really just want my car back!

These are the details of the car:

FIAT PUNTO BLACK YEAR '97
    REG: 97L2810

My best bet is that somebody stole it in the airport area, drove it around and abbandon it somewhere, I would really appreciate if somebody saw this car and could let me know!

I will give a 200€ Reward to whoever can help me with useful info.

Appreciate your help.

All hell's gonna break loose in this thread...

OP, why the 200 euro reward? The car's only worth 300-500. Just buy another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did it have an immobilizer? If it did I'd say it was stolen on the back of a truck for parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hells bells they may have done you a favour, as bad as scumbags stealing cars are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

OP did you ring the council they may have picked it up if they thought it was abandoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Best of luck getting it back. Hopefully someone see's it around. Wasnt the best idea to leave it on the side of the road but sure ya know that now. Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sorry to hear that OP, if it was robbed i'd imagine it was taken for a joyride rather than for parts.
    Lets not "let all hell break loose" on this thread. Let's try and keep on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Confab wrote: »
    All hell's gonna break loose in this thread...

OP, why the 200 euro reward? The car's only worth 300-500. Just buy another one.

I'd pay much more just to have my car back! :( it is not about the money, I want my car....i got it when I was 19 and drove it everywhere!
    Did it have an immobilizer? If it did I'd say it was stolen on the back of a truck for parts.

No immobilizer....
    alexmcred wrote: »
    OP did you ring the council they may have picked it up if they thought it was abandoned

I just went to the Garda and airport Police, would you know where can I find the phone number for the council? Thank you so much!
    seanybiker wrote: »
    Best of luck getting it back. Hopefully someone see's it around. Wasnt the best idea to leave it on the side of the road but sure ya know that now. Best of luck

Thank you! I keep hoping, unfortunately I live in Bray and I am back at work tomorrow, but I may go and have a look around at evening.

I am such an idiot! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,036 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was it parked up on private land by any chance? If so, find out who the owner is and contact them. They might have removed the car, especially if the owner is Quick Park ;)
    Sorry to hear that OP, if it was robbed i'd imagine it was taken for a joyride rather

My first thought was joyride too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Fingal Co. Co.

Tel: (01) 890 5000
    Email: info@fingalcoco.ie
    After hours tel: (01) 873 1415

What time did you park it at? There are alot of Car Garages around the quick park and it could have been removed TBH. There is one housing estate around there. I would usual say they would rob the cars and bring them around the Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Best of luck finding the car OP i can relate to a emotional attachment to a car. My current motor is old and pretty much worthless but i'd dread somone stealing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Thank you all for the info & support! I also had a GPS in the car (and a radio)....I just wonder whether it is possible to track the car down via the GPS? Is the GPS trackable? Probably GPS and car are no longer together by now, but if it is possible to track the GPS somehow than I could get hold of the person who stole it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Sorry to hear this OP, hopefully it was picked up by council due to where it was parked. If it was stolen, I'd say it was for a joyride and not parts as the other poster said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

TripleAce wrote: »
    Is the GPS trackable?

GPS can be used for tracking devices but a sat nav generally doesn't have such a function (maybe really expensive ones do, I dunno).

I wouldn't keep your hopes up about the car if it didn't have an immobilizer, sorry. I'd say it's long gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm pretty sure all those Puntos had an immobiliser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

colm_mcm wrote: »

Well in all fairness, isn't that what that FIAT badge becomes, sooner or later? ;)

OP, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

colm_mcm wrote: »

Sounds to me like it was picked up by the council then. It's only natural for them to assume that a thirteen year-old Punto parked in a space for a length of time is abandoned. Either that or some scumbags have taken it for a joyride.

Very sorry to hear about your situation by the way, OP. I very much understand emotional attachment to a car, my one being a Volvo S70 which I've known for years and can't let go of. I really hope you get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Chances are that it was impounded. If it was impounded it will cost you a pretty penny to get it back.
    Chances are though that they thought it was abandoned and maybe it has gone to its eternal resting place given that it remained unclaimed for a few weeks.
    However, I would persume you would have received a letter saying it had been impounded if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

There are lads on the road every morning very early picking up burnt out cars for scrap they have been known to pick up cars like yours that they have spotted parked as your was. My bet is that it has been crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

was there up to date tax on the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

hate to be the bearer of bad news but realistically if it was stolen, and if you do get it back, you won't be able to drive it. and more than likely the insurance copany will want it back for scrappeage.

chances are she's up the dublin mountains somewhere or in tallaght burnt to a cinder IMO

sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, because Tallaght is the only place car thieves live, however there's no cars that side of the city so wander the roads of north county Dublin looking for one.

just using a stereotype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All Fiat Puntos have built in immobilizers............The Head Gasket. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Piss off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I Was VB wrote: »
    Piss off.

Warning given. If you have a problem with a post use the report button(report.gif).

That wasn't really on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Nearly certain also these had a 'key chip' immobiliser so joyrider theft unlikely ...check if it was taken away on a lorry as someone suggested?

if they can get past a clifford alarm, a fiat puntos electrics would be easier than wiring a plug. but because its a Fix It Again Tomorrow, youll probably find the immobiliser didnt work in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If the council took it they would legally have to write to you before crushing it.

Sadly, it is more than likely stolen and broken up for parts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

My missus' 97 VW polo went missing today. It had been sitting on side of road waiting fr bodywork to be done for a couple of weeks, but in plain sight of house. This is a housing estate, not a public road, mind. No sign of break in. No authority given by Gards. Nothing to do with council either. However, the last couple of days Ive found a note from a Scrap Metal collector under the wiperblade, which I duly removed. Thankfully i kept this, and gave your man a call "...I dont do that kind of thing" says he.
    Coincidence?
    Whats the next step? Im going to my local environmental disposal/scrapyard tomorrow morn first thing to check whether it has been taken there to be shifted for a quick buck.
    Any ideas?

Advertisement