Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage approval requirements?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

I am wondering what do i need to get a mortgage, i have been out of work for a year, but will start back soon.
    We have a sufficient deposit and have been living off my spouses wage for the past year, paying 1200euro rent every month.
    My wifes wage would not be enough to get a mortgage but combined it would be no problem.
    I am wondering how long do i have to be back at work before we would be approved?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

pabloh999 wrote: »
    I am wondering what do i need to get a mortgage, i have been out of work for a year, but will start back soon.
    We have a sufficient deposit and have been living off my spouses wage for the past year, paying 1200euro rent every month.
    My wifes wage would not be enough to get a mortgage but combined it would be no problem.
    I am wondering how long do i have to be back at work before we would be approved?
    Thanks

Normally 2 years, you must be permanent and not in probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Thanks for the response,
    also we were out of the country for a good few years and only returned 2008, and (when i get up and running) i will be self employed But will be making decent money
    Not looking good for a quick mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Definitely not looking good! Being self-employed is generally not viewed too favourably.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

2 years P60s, or in the absence of P60s- 2 years of tax returns.
    As you would be self employed, almost irrespective of the nature of the work- the norm is now that you would only qualify for a lower LTV mortgage, with a weighting (higher interest charge). A norm for a couple where one party (or more) is self employed, would be 80-85%, with evidence of having saved 15% for the deposit, the other 5% could be from other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

I rang a mortgage broker place this morning and they said possibly 3 years tax returns under my belt before they will consider it.. bring back the subprime:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

pabloh999 wrote: »
    I rang a mortgage broker place this morning and they said possibly 3 years tax returns under my belt before they will consider it.. bring back the subprime:mad:

WHA!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

fontanalis wrote: »
    WHA!

I have to agree with you about the Subprime bit- while they were not the architects of the housing bubble in Ireland, they certainly were a considerable causal factor in other markets. Further- by my reckoning, despite their tiny share of the Irish market, they account for almost 2/3 of all repossession orders being granted at present.

OP- the entire mortgage industry here is on life support- and the rules governing mortgage approvals have reverted to previous cautious practices, which is harsh on a lot of people after an era of easy credit.

In the longrun- saving as large a depost as possible, and having a lower LTV ratio- is good news for any borrower- though its fully understandable why people feel hard done by.

S.

Advertisement