Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some retro.

Options
  • 16-02-2010 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I'm doing some serious emulating and it would be great if you lot could recommend me some good shum em ups for the megadrive and snes,maybe some other megadrive stuff,not on Sonic ultimate collection,that I might have over looked.Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,451 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Megadrive -

Shooters -
    MUSHA ALISTE
    Thunderforce III & IV
    MUSHA ALISTE
    Eliminate Down
    MUSHA ALISTE
    Gleylancer
    MUSHA ALISTE
    Ranger X

...did I mention Musha Aliste? :pac:

Run & Gun -
    Contra Hard Corps/Probotector
    Demolition Man
    Alien Soldier
    Mega Turrican
    Gunstar Heroes
    Mercs

That's a good list to get you started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Another suggestion...

I've always thought that the TG-16/PC Engine has a high concentration of very good shmups. Blazing Lazers is a good example. Also has one of my favourite ports of R-Type. Then you have the Konami shooter series Gradius and Parodius (I'm sure these have numerous ports, but I've always thought they feel *truer* through the TG-16).

You'll find tons of suggestions/forum threads if you google for Turbografx shooters.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Raiden and Side Arms - again, brilliant ports. I played a lot of Side Arms way back, and I have to say that the timing is impeccible, just as I remembered it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For the SNES:

Super Aleste/spacemegaforce
    Axelay
    Gradius 3
    the parodius games

Run n, gun:

Contra 3
    Majyuouu
    Cybernator

Also remember not to play the PAL versions.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Cybernator

Also remember not to play the PAL versions.

Indeed! Assault Suit Valken all the way. Even the name sounds a million times better than Cybernator. I know they dropped the Assault Suit name due to localization, but the new name makes even less sense...and sounds like ass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think assault suit valken sounds awesome. They butchered the localisation as well. There's a translation for the japanese version though with the scene with the president still in it :)

I meant avoid the PAL versions because they are slower which is a crime for shmups!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

For the Mega-Drive:

Cool Spot
    Road Rash II
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Virtua Racing
    Streets of Rage II
    Splatterhouse 2
    World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
    Flintstones

For the Super Nintendo:

Donkey Kong Country
    Cybernator
    Tiny Toons: Buster Bust’s Loose
    Super Aleste
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    Batman Returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Thanks for that peeps. Thunderforce is an excellent series all right. I still think my personal favourite is the Gradius games though. I managed to get Gradius collection for my PSP,epic.

Master of the Universe

Xluna wrote: »
    Thanks for that peeps. Thunderforce is an excellent series all right. I still think my personal favourite is the Gradius games though. I managed to get Gradius collection for my PSP,epic.

Did you play Musha Aliste? Did you? DIDYOUDIDYOUDIDIDYOU? :D

It's better than all the Thunderforce games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Thunderforce IV is very good alright, but Gunstar Heroes definitely the best of the Megadrive shooters... (that I've played anyway)

And on SNES, would be Super Probotector (might be called Contra 3 if you're down^h^h^h^hbuying the American version)

Master of the Universe

komodosp wrote: »
    And on SNES, would be Super Probotector (might be called Contra 3 if you're down^h^h^h^hbuying the American version)

It's good but nowhere near as good as Probotector (Contra Hard Corps) on the Megadrive. Which is really worth trying out if you liked the Snes game.

• Advertisement

You really should be down with playing the american versions. Probotector and Super Probotector run slower than Contra Hard Corp and Contra 3 and have gay robots. The American versions should be the only way to play the games. In fact you should never ever play a PAL version of a game unless you have no other choice.

I agree with o1s1n as well. While I love Contra 3 I feel it's over rated and Contra Hard Corp is way better. However hard corp like it's name is bloody difficult. Took me ages to finish it with all 5 endings.

Also don't play donkey kong country. It's mediocre.

Master of the Universe

You really should be down with playing the american versions. Probotector and Super Probotector run slower than Contra Hard Corp and Contra 3 and have gay robots. The American versions should be the only way to play the games. In fact you should never ever play a PAL version of a game unless you have no other choice.

Probotector + 60hz region switch = win :pac:

I actually rather the gay robots. There something a bit extra gay about the Rambo Contra chatacters! Plus I associate them more with the game after growing up with Probotector.
    I agree with o1s1n as well. While I love Contra 3 I feel it's over rated and Contra Hard Corp is way better. However hard corp like it's name is bloody difficult. Took me ages to finish it with all 5 endings.

I've been playing Contra 3 on my GBA micro and it's a hell of a lot easier than Hard corps alright. You couldn't possibly play Hard Corps on the tiny micro screen.
    Also don't play donkey kong country. It's mediocre.

Furious CCCP^ inbound in 5...4...3...2...1....

Contra on the GBA is an absolute disgrace. They turfed in a mixture of hard corp and contra 3 levels and then got the controls physics and feel absolutely wrong and the whole thing is a cluster**** of ****iness. I don't like it as you can guess.

The rambo characters in Contra are gayer but it's the good Top Gun kind of gay :)

CCCP^ needs to have his rose tinted Rare specs surgically removed :D

Advertisement