Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggestions for car under 10k that's cheap to run/tax?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I haven’t started seriously looking at changing my car yet (02 Saab 93 Turbo) but am starting to see what’s available within what I want…

Is it correct that the new tax method only works for cars from ’08 onwards?
    So if I got something pre 08 what would the tax be for a 1.4 would you know offhand?

If I was going to replace my car with (either '08 or pre '08) with a more fuel efficient, lower tax car (basically I want to save my costs on my car) would you have any recommendations?
    Size doesn't matter expect not as small as a Ka.
    To confuse the matter I don’t have a budget yet (wouldn’t be above 10k, hopefully a bit lower).

(added after several replies):
    Getting money for 'new' car doesn't mean getting a loan from bank. Can source from 'rainy day' savings etc.

I’m not bothered by what make (as long as car is reliable) but would like to have:
    • controls on steering wheel (not a deal breaker but nice to have)
    • preferably non-cheap ‘plastic-ky’ interior.

Cheers.
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

New tax came in on July 2008, but was backdated to January 2008 if the road tax was lower on the new system.

Road tax on a pre 08 1.4 is 333.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to main motors forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would say that the odds are that you won't save much money in the long run by spending up to 10K on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

eoin wrote: »
    I would say that the odds are that you won't save much money in the long run by spending up to 10K on a car.

depreciation is the main cost of motoring

10k car will be a 5k car in three years

however a 5 k car is a 2 k car in three years so you save a grand a year

this will pay the difference in tax and insurance etc on an older car

also good sh cars can be got for 2 gand just make sure they have 101,000 miles and big engines

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

We're in the same boat - looking to save on running costs and motor tax, although we're keeping our old & brilliant Accord.

Saving money in the long run on a 10k car isn't really the point if you can't afford to pay out more than that at the moment. However we're thinking of a honda civic Hybrid which has low running costs & low motor tax. We'll probably have to fork out more than 10k on this though, but are hoping it'll be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

In same boat also with same gaz guzzler...to cut a long story short, ..there is a difference between 'lower day to day running costs' and 'saving money' ...I'm not convinced you will save money long term but you will of course experience lower running costs with something like a Ford Focus...- in addition, if by chance, you purchase a 'dud' second hand car, then it may work out even more expensive......I've decided to bear the brunt of higher running costs, keep the car I enjoy driving and that I owe nothing on, and invest my money for when I know that the car has had it's day....if you have to take out a loan for this 10K budget, then your 'running' costs will be no different or possibly higher to what you are experiencing right now...best of luck with it....

..of course, the above all depends on what state your current Saab is in- if it needs a lot of attention, then there are probably savings to be made by changing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

If you would take 8000e loan from bank, lets say AIB and get a 2k from Saab (estimate),

this would mean that you would have 10k. If the loan would be for 3 years, so therefore lets assume you would keep the Saab 3 years or some another 1.4-1.6l petrol car (that you would buy 10k) 3 years as well.

So lets say Ford Focus, 1.6l year 2008. And lets assume you would drive 20 000km / year

Costs:
    Fuel:
    7l/100km for Focus so 70l for 1000km x 20 = 1400l
    12l/100km for Saab so 120l for 1000km x 20 = 2400l

If fuel would be 1.25e per litre then fuel cost for Ford 1400x1.25 = 1750e and for Saab 2400x1.25 = 3000e

Road tax, Ford 447e and Saab 614e (assuming Saab is 2l)

So costs for 3 years:
    Saab: 3000e+614e x 3 = 10842
    Ford: 1750e+447 x 3 = 6591

+ car loan for Focus EUR 263.36*12*3=9481e

So cost for three years for
    Saab 10842e
    Ford 16072e

Of course this calculation does not include insurance, service costs or depreciation, but if you just even estimate that 3 years time Saab and Ford would loose 50% of their values, then total cost for Ford (10>5) would be 21000 for 3 years and Saab (2>1) about 12000.

So now you know why I drive old 98 2l Petrol Volvo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Itarumaa- I'm looking at it from a different point of view:
    Maybe something with road tax band A of €104 or B €156. So annual saving of €516 or €460 approx.
    No interest loan needed.
    So costs for 3 years:
    Saab: 3000e+614e x 3 = 10842
    Ford: 1750e+156 x 3 = 5718.

So a saving of €5214, add about €100 each year for insurance so €5514.

And the €10k car would still be worth approx €5k in three years, whereas my '02 Saab would be worth €1k or so. And probably cost more in service & repairs as it's older.

So if I do nothing I end up with my Saab in 3 years, worth about €1k
    If I sell and buy newer car should save about €2,500 over three years about.

€8k outlay (€10k - €2k for selling Saab)
    Save €5,500 in costs
    Car worth €5k after 3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

There are so many ways how to see this matter, for instance dinneenp, you have informed that getting that 8000e would not require a loan. But that 8000e still has a value, it does not show up from thin air, maybe you have to work for it etc. So thefore I think if you really compare cars together, you should calculate that money to be part of the new(er) car cost.

And yes I think if you buy a 10k car, then in 3 years time you have 5k left. So basically you will lose 5k in 3 years time, but with Saab you would only lose 1k. Also with Saab you don´t have to use 8000e to buy a newer car.

So I would just drive the Saab, but there are many options here, maybe you want a newer car, maybe diesel etc.

But I still think that you cannot leave the 8000e out of the calculations, because that money has to have some kind of value after all, even if the money is not coming from loan.

dinneenp wrote: »
    basically I want to save my costs on my car

Sell Saab, buy a smaller car that is less to tax and used less fuel for whatever money you get for the Saab. That is the only way to save costs really, no doubt you won't like it but that's the only way really. As other folks have commented, if you spend €8000 you are not saving costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A related question-
    how long is the Gov scrapage scheme lasting for?
    If I buy, say a Toyota Yaris (about €11.5k, normally 14.5k or so) won't I have 'saved' 3k here?
    If selling this car down the line the price would be based on original price, not 'reduced Gov scrapage reduced price'?
    I presume that prices can still be negotiated at garages even with the scrapage as per a normal sale...

dinneenp wrote: »
    A related question-
    how long is the Gov scrapage scheme lasting for?
    If I buy, say a Toyota Yaris (about €11.5k, normally 14.5k or so) won't I have 'saved' 3k here?
    If selling this car down the line the price would be based on original price, not 'reduced Gov scrapage reduced price'?
    I presume that prices can still be negotiated at garages even with the scrapage as per a normal sale...

You'd get most of that discount anyway as the scrappage scheme doesn't account for the bulk of the €3000, most of it is simply straight sale discount dressed up as horsesh1t really.

Advertisement