Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying windows 7

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭

hey, ive been running the beta version of window 7 since i got my pc, i didnt bother with an operation system seeing as i could use the beta and try it, i had previouly used vista and xp on an old computer,

now my beta trial is nearly over and i have to buy windows 7, does anyone know if prices differ much on-line, in-store or even downloading it, i saw on microsofts site the home premium kit for 100 sterling, and that being the most basic and it has both 32 and 64 bit OS, i want the 64 bit OS caue i have a quad-core processor and 4GB of ram,

and also will the upgrade pack work or do i have to buy the full version (50 sterling in the difference), as i have been running the beta and sold my old computers with there OS,

also would it be worth the extra 100 sterling to get the ultimate version,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i wouldnt think you can upgrade from a beta to a full version cos you would have botten the beta for free :) ... never know... but i wouldnt chance it.

if you are a student then there are a few good deals for students with buying software. My dad got win7 for his machine for a good price.
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Ultimate_32_bit_Edition_Upgrade-details.aspx

ultimate appears to be 120e, the business edition that he got was 50e

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

license for the upgrade only applies if you have an OS to upgrade from
    you can't use it on a bare bones PC

and besides the PC's you got rid of almost certainly had OEM windows pre-installed so the upgrade would have been bound to the old machine and could not be used on the current one

you have to buy a FULL license or buy a NON-OEM license second hand and then use it as the basis of an upgrade

if you buy a student copy then you have to read the license terms to make sure you are entitled to use it

Microsoft Licensing sucks big time, it's just too hard to find the appropiate version , far too easy to end up paying more than you need to

Bottom line, if you can't afford windows nothing is stopping you using many other OS's most of which are FREE.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

You can't upgrade from the Beta/RC to the full version, but you can use the upgrade disk to do a frech install.

The Upgrade DVD is bootable, and you can perform a fresh and clean install with it.

Here's basically how to do it:

Step 1:
    1. Boot from the Upgrade DVD.
    2. When asked Upgrade or Custom, choose Custom (advanced).
    3. When it asks where you want to install Windows, click Drive options (advanced).
    4. Select the drive you want to use.
    5. Click Delete.
    6. Click New.
    7. Click Format.
    8. Click Next.
    9. Then it will begin installing windows. When it asks for the Product Key, leave it blank (and also uncheck "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online"). Or, you can enter it to experience exactly what happens: it says that it's invalid. This is because it's for Upgrades only. wink.gif
    Step 2:
    1. When you get to the Desktop, re-insert the Upgrade DVD.
    2. Choose Upgrade.
    3. Follow through the Upgrade (but don't click Delete, New, and then Format).
    4. When asked for the Product Key, enter it.
    5. When you get to the Desktop, activate it!
    6. Enjoy.
    Source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

zodac wrote: »
    You can't upgrade from the Beta/RC to the full version, but you can use the upgrade disk to do a frech install.

The Upgrade DVD is bootable, and you can perform a fresh and clean install with it.

Here's basically how to do it:

Step 1:
    1. Boot from the Upgrade DVD.
    2. When asked Upgrade or Custom, choose Custom (advanced).
    3. When it asks where you want to install Windows, click Drive options (advanced).
    4. Select the drive you want to use.
    5. Click Delete.
    6. Click New.
    7. Click Format.
    8. Click Next.
    9. Then it will begin installing windows. When it asks for the Product Key, leave it blank (and also uncheck "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online"). Or, you can enter it to experience exactly what happens: it says that it's invalid. This is because it's for Upgrades only. wink.gif
    Step 2:
    1. When you get to the Desktop, re-insert the Upgrade DVD.
    2. Choose Upgrade.
    3. Follow through the Upgrade (but don't click Delete, New, and then Format).
    4. When asked for the Product Key, enter it.
    5. When you get to the Desktop, activate it!
    6. Enjoy.
    Source.

that's really clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So Zodac that doesnt need an XP or a Vista serial key? o_O

Not that I dont have a Vista key, im just wondering when do i need it if i do a clean install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

ordered there from amazon, came to 164.76 sterling, useing the XE currency converter it gave me E188, wheras amazon offered to convert it for me with there conversion coming to E196, amazing E8 in the difference,

i it was also there for 133 sterling but TBH i didnt trust the seller, they had very little info, i have better piece of mind getting in dierectly off amazon,

also it was the full version, so no previous window codes needed, the same OS on microsofts site was E250 (E216 for the upgrade pack), and it was no cheaper for the direct download, which makes no sense what so ever,

Overheal wrote: »
    So Zodac that doesnt need an XP or a Vista serial key? o_O

Not that I dont have a Vista key, im just wondering when do i need it if i do a clean install

No, you do need a key, but this is a method to use an upgrade DVD to do a clean install of Win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

if you buy a student copy then you have to read the license terms to make sure you are entitled to use it

Microsoft Licensing sucks big time, it's just too hard to find the appropiate version , far too easy to end up paying more than you need to

what exactly are the requirements? do i need to register my student number to avail of the cheaper student version?

Basically, you're only allowed use a Student copy if you got it through your college/university. The main ones in Ireland sign up their students to the MSDN-AA (though probably only the courses that are computer-related).

No-one's going to come check up on you if you use it and you're not a student though.

Advertisement