Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Good Corp, Bad Corp

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hola amigos,

As a budding CEO I'm curious as to your experiences in various corps. What made the good ones good, and the bad ones bad.

I've a few ideas myself but maybe there's a corp model out there that's a bit different that may be an improvement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Different people look for different things. The only thing that is common to all is playing eve is more fun with people than on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JoeDante

ah yeah, fleeting and getting on Teamspeak or something equivilent is great. Just wondering if there was something in a corp that either enhanced or detracted from your enjoyment.

it's not a tarp!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

regularly organizing corp outings whether it be fighting \o/ , mining :( or just floating in space.:D

Nothing worse than a corp which just does nothing proactively.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't take anything seriously, nothing is going to ruin your fun more than having people throw hissy fits over their imaginary space ships. Resist the urge to recruit everyone and anyone into your corp, most people out there are irritating and stupid. A corp is as much fun as the people of which it is composed, so I'd rather ten chill guys than a hundred aol-speak jackasses.

Democracy doesn't work in computer games, have an inner circle of competent people running things. Try to distribute shares between a small group of leaders to minimise the potential for bored CEOs destroying everything (a lesson we just learned the hard way, but see the first rule as an explanation for why it's not as big a deal as it might be). I like the idea of a triumverate leadership structure though I've not experienced it first hand.

I'm sure there's more but I've prattled on enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Nothing worse than a corp which just does nothing proactively.

and then blames their members for it.

• Advertisement

Mantel wrote: »
    and then blames their members for it.

haha

Ya im more a follower than a leader.
    There is nothing i like more than for the corp leaders to say me undock. join fleet, shoot at x, try not to die.

No thought involved on my part apart from when the shooting starts. The the thought process is ctrl click , Click, Click, Click, CLick. right click. boom. breathe, rinse and repeat.

I get my self leadership from solo piracy but im taking a break from that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

My first corp was run by Christian fundamentalists
    You did not want to be on teamspeak when the newbie says "god dammit", chaos ensued.

So yeah, a corp with Christian ideals is probably a bad corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I would say so long as you can keep the seriousbusiness attitude out of the corp and dont start lording yourself over people it'll be fine, nothing more pathetic than people screwing each other over for their ego and getting bitchy over their ''rank'' within a corp, PL was very bad at times once the leadership started to seperate from the rank and file, it went from a fun pvp alliance where everyone was equal to a leadership caste with their own clique's and special spy forums and secret jabber rooms and so on, once that seperation is made people will change and start screwing over other people and kissing ass and trying to exert authority over others so they can get in on the cool kids club, so if you ask me its just best to keep it small and keep everyone even.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Gneez wrote: »
    I would say so long as you can keep the seriousbusiness attitude out of the corp and dont start lording yourself over people it'll be fine, nothing more pathetic than people screwing each other over for their ego and getting bitchy over their ''rank'' within a corp, PL was very bad at times once the leadership started to seperate from the rank and file, it went from a fun pvp alliance where everyone was equal to a leadership caste with their own clique's and special spy forums and secret jabber rooms and so on, once that seperation is made people will change and start screwing over other people and kissing ass and trying to exert authority over others so they can get in on the cool kids club, so if you ask me its just best to keep it small and keep everyone even.

&
    haha

Ya im more a follower than a leader.
    There is nothing i like more than for the corp leaders to say me undock. join fleet, shoot at x, try not to die.

No thought involved on my part apart from when the shooting starts. The the thought process is ctrl click , Click, Click, Click, CLick. right click. boom. breathe, rinse and repeat.

I get my self leadership from solo piracy but im taking a break from that at the moment.

TBH

I was looking forward to a bit of lording :)

ah no, good advice all round. It is a small operation and so far it's all Irish lads, just doing a bit of mission running which isn't too strenuous regards organisation.

• Advertisement

well if you are up and running then have them all hop into cheap frigates. I mean really cheap, nothing but T1 fittings and go in a random direction. You'd be surprised at just how much trouble you can cause.

(Hmm... Why haven't we done something like this?)

Krieg wrote: »
    My first corp was run by Christian fundamentalists
    You did not want to be on teamspeak when the newbie says "god dammit", chaos ensued.

So yeah, a corp with Christian ideals is probably a bad corp.

Please please please tell me the name of this corp, this is very very important.

azezil wrote: »
    &

TBH

not quite sure what TBH is supposed to mean with those two quotes

I think he is basically +1'ing those two posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Depends on what the person is looking for in a corp;

Some people like being sheep , or the idea of a all powerful leadership who demand compulsory activity etc.

Other like myself like a corp were you everyone looks after there own stuff and there is no requirement for you to do anything , the corp simply provides a means for you to PvP consistently with people you can hopefully after over a year can rely on. ( and never assume that because you are not required to do anything by the corp that nothing will happen ... we have been operating out of a wormhole for a few months now and every time i log on there is a PvP fleet going )

But in my personnel opinion there are to many variables for you to simply say a corp is good or bad. Some examples include;

PvP or PvE or a mix of both ( Bias towards one ?)
    High sec, Low sec , null sec, W-space ?
    Large player base for big fleet fights or small ?

and alot other i cba thinking.

TL;DR Depends on what the individuals are looking for in a corp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Zillah wrote: »
    Please please please tell me the name of this corp, this is very very important.

Rampaging alpacas, now dead corp. Got tired of being war dec'd i guess. Last time I checked the CEO was still in it but not active (persius or somethin), she was really bat **** insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I was saying those 2 posts pretty much sum up what I look for in a corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

Well as a former CEO of a large corp (200+) members its takes hard work and dedication.

I think some of the fundamentals to having a good corp is not to recruit anyone under the age of 18 to avoid Emo rages. A mature corp profile insures that everyone is level headed and people can make sound decisions.

It important to have a couple of trusted Directors who can be relied on to get **** done and to spread the workload so no one person is doing all the work and getting burned out and not enjoying the game. Insure you have a programme of succession for when you decide to hang up your boots you have people ready to step up to the plate.

Insure members have about 10-15 million skills points minimum to insure a certain level of competence, more is obviously better. Screen your new members carefully, you don't want a corp full of alts and nobody online, nor do you want members adding nothing to the corp and their fellow members.

Get yourself a VoIP sever to have decent battle comms and a place where everyone can have the banter, corp forums are useful too for exchanging ideas and ship fits etc.

EVE is about PvP so you will want some good FC's within your corp to organise plenty of pew pew. However again if you have good people within your corp with a crazy bloodlust gangs should be popping up all over the place.

Join a 0.0 Alliance or go do loads of wormholing so that your members can make loads of ISK to buy ships for PVP. Rich members are happy members.

Get the balance right between those that only want to mine and those that only want to PVP. Both are required in a successful corp to keep the wallet in the black.

Last but not least listen to your members, you might be CEO, but you & the Corp are nothing without members, so its probably a good idea to keep the corp fairly democratic. While being democratic works at a corp level forget about it when it comes to Alliances :)

Oh yeah and don't forget... Have fun! :D

I just realised that the thread title is a pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

holy **** now I just realised its a pun

• Advertisement

;) well wasn't totally intentional, more a familiar phrase "eveised".

Thanks for the input so far. Still building up the empire bit by bit. ;) keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I'm a ceo of a corp and gneez is my bitch

that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

bizmark wrote: »
    I'm a ceo of a corp and gneez is my bitch

that is all

You used to be my bitch.

Advertisement