Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux question. I'm a total beginner.

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I presume asking a linux related question comes under the heading of "open source"

I have vista installed on my computer and I have been using ubuntu too. However I was using the WUBI method of running linux. However after trying out kubuntu and opensuse I decided to change distro. For me ubuntu was very easy to use and I can honestly say it's great!

I wanted to properly dual boot with vista though. So i have narrowed it down to either ubuntu... or kubuntu. I know using ubuntu would be the exact same as before but I would like it to be familiar.
    kubuntu is a beautiful interface in my opinion...

Basically my question is...how do ubuntu and kubuntu differ? Is the any advantages/disadvantages of each??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Most obvious difference is of course different interfaces, Ubuntu uses GNOME and Kubuntu uses KDE. After there are a few differences but generally things work fairly similarly(Ive found at least). For example GNOME has Synaptic package manager and KDE has KpackageKit...if i remember correctly. Theres a slight learning curve going from one to the other but nothing major at all. The interface is really the main difference in my somwhat ignorant opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Basically my question is...how do ubuntu and kubuntu differ? Is the any advantages/disadvantages of each??

Thanks

Fundamentally they're the same thing, they just differ in the GUI aspect such as the program menus and configuration tools, etc. Most of the applications like GIMP, Firefox, OpenOffice.org etc are all the same (and if they're not, you can still install them anyway).

I've never bothered, but you should be able to install them both simultaneously: If you installed "normal" ubuntu, you can install the package "kubuntu-desktop" and it'll add in the kubuntu-specific stuff. At the login screen, then, you can choose whether to use Gnome or KDE.

Advertisement