Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall - Where to start?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Want to give them a listen but there is a collosal back catalouge there to get through. Anyone point in me in the right direction to get started??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Slanted & Enchanted. Brilliant Fall record.
    niallo24 wrote: »
    Want to give them a listen but there is a collosal back catalouge there to get through. Anyone point in me in the right direction to get started??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

They have a best of...called 15,000 fall fans can't be wrong..or something like that. I have it but never got into the fall. maybe when i'm old like Frank Skinner i'll get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

There are a few compilations you could start with, to give yourself a good overview.

In terms of studio albums, Perverted By Language and The Wonderful and Frightening World of the Fall are probably my favourites. The latter is a little bit more pop so if you're not familiar with their work it might be a better place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

They have a best of...called 15,000 fall fans can't be wrong..or something like that. I have it but never got into the fall. maybe when i'm old like Frank Skinner i'll get them.
    My brother got that best of, it's pretty good :) Probably a decent place to start listening to them, because I think they're a band you will either love or hate.

I never really listened to them until the end of last year, but the stuff I've heard is really good.

This is my favourite song by them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Out of curiosity is it Paul McLoone that is bringing up this desire to get into the Fall? If so then I'm the same and have been wondering where to begin myself.
    Paul McLoone said Sunday night to start with the 50,000 Fall fans can't be wrong combilation since that's how he got into them. He was reading our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

My only contribution to this debate is just start with one album. My brother burnt me about 15 fall albums 5 years ago. I gave them all a go but was completely sick of them by the end of it and I haven't been able to listen to them since.

However, I would recomend 50000 fall fans can't be wrong. There are some great tunes there like telephone thing

Palace of Swords Reversed is a great compilation of their early stuff

And if i was to recommend a non compilation album it'd probably be grotesque.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Papa Smut wrote: »

You must be joking. Well I suppose if you're living locally it might be worth seeing. I've been to my fair share of gigs where the band have a reputation of conflict and have left thinking to myself "did I enjoy it because it was a good gig or was it the tension of 'something mad could happen'?"

As for The Fall, I'm in the same boat. Where do I start? I have a lot of tracks downloaded but no actual albums. I'll keep an eye on this thread for further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fr Pat Noise

Hex Enduction Hour is another one to check out.
    They did a good Peel sessions album a few years back, I prefer it to the 50,000 fans one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Get the Hex Enduction Hour reissue; there are some good Peel session tunes on it as bonus tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

You could try 458489 A Sides or Extricate (which includes the classic British People In Hot Weather).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

This is such a class tune

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Hi all,
    The Fall are a great band, with so much to choose from its hard to know where to start. 50000 fall fans can't be wrong is probably the best comp to get. But for me the 2005 album 'Fall Heads Roll' is their best studio album to start with, a brilliant album, probably one of their best. But my favourite Fall album is 'Extricate' from 1990. This website gives more info on the band...http://www.visi.com/fall/

Hope you all enjoy The Wonderful and Frightening World of Mark E.Smith!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Singles wise, Victoria. Great cover of a great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MainDude

This Nation's Saving Grace is one of my favourites, but I couldn't find a lot of their albums on the internet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

my favourite band since getting This Nation's Saving Grace for Christmas 1985.

I can thank John Peel for the intro.

Best place to start - the six CD set of Peel Sessions is just £12.78 from Amazon. Amazing value.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Peel-Sessions-Fall/dp/B0002ADXZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232573132&sr=1-1

If that's too much, one of

- LP #03 - Grotesque (After The Gramme), 1980
    - LP #05 - Hex Enduction Hour, 1982
    - LP #17 - The Infotainment Scan, 1993

Despite the seemingly daunting back catalogue - it's fine once you get in.

Bands I love that have worse catalogues,
    The Grateful Dead (in excess of 70 live albums, most multi-disc),

Guided By Voices / Robert Pollard (numerous side-projects too) and

James Last - yes James Last (191 albums excl. compilations) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Charley Horse

Papa Smut wrote: »

OH was wondering who would be going to this, you get tickets Papa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Mark E Smith reading the classified results on Grandstand = :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

The Real New Fall LP was the first album I listened to. It's one of their more recent albums and I think it'd be a great place to start.
    I've never been big into compilations so for other studio albums I suggest you give Bend Sinister or Perverted by Language a listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall is a great album.

Taster

• Advertisement
Advertisement