Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windows Phone 7 Series

Options
  • 15-02-2010 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Launched today in Barcelona:

http://www.windowsphone7series.com/multimedia/Media2Microsoft

MS is using a video hosted on Google's Youtube.com to promote this product! - no bingtube.com, Mr Balmer?

Google is a competitor in the phone business, and in the search business, Mr Balmer.

How desperate can a company get, Mr Balmer? Microsoft also use the word "Buzz" in the headings - the name of google's "social media" website!

http://www.google.com/buzz

Perhaps there is an unannounced takeover of Microsoft in the wings?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

probe wrote: »

MS is using a video hosted on Google's Youtube.com to promote this product! - no bingtube.com, Mr Balmer?

Google is a competitor in the phone business, and in the search business, Mr Balmer.

How desperate can a company get, Mr Balmer? Microsoft also use the word "Buzz" in the headings - the name of google's "social media" website!

Youtube is probably the biggest video website in the world. It's got a huge userbase. Microsoft want to get a huge amount of interest in their product so why wouldn't they use it. Sure google is a competitor but if they can use them to help advertise their products then they be stupid to ignore.

As for buzz, google didn't make the word. Maybe they used it anyways or they could be just taking a dig at google. Either way, big meh. I really think you're reading it to things a bit much.

As for the os itself. It looks nice, but I don't like the lack of multi-tasking. I think it's not backwards compatible with older apps. That could be bad as good app support is going to be critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Free advertising with Google paying for the bandwith!

iphone is the real competition in mobile.

What about Yahoo http://buzz.yahoo.com/ or the other millions of sites that use buzz in there name?
    I doubt google could afford to take over microsoft, or would even want to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

As for the os itself. It looks nice, but I don't like the lack of multi-tasking. I think it's not backwards compatible with older apps. That could be bad as good app support is going to be critical.

What's this about lack of multi-tasking?

Every Windows Phone to date has been capable of Multi-Tasking....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I hope it's better than windows mobile 6, that was absolutely awful and a pain to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭muggyog

Good to see the link doesn't even open on my Mac.

µPhone perhaps? If One maybe? If Only probably!

Windows Pad 7 series anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't open the page from any browser on Windows 7, so I reckon the server's down.

That being said: How much fanboyism can one thread take before it crosses the threshold into Sad Register Parody territory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

testicle wrote: »

And rumour has it every Windows phone to date sucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

DarrenMSP wrote: »

Rumours are false so. I love mine :D

htc-touch-pro-2_468.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

What I've seen of the XDA and XDA2 running Windows Mobile vs what I've seen of the iPhone & the Blackberry Storm leaves me thinking that the Windows version was preferable.

Why are we falling back into thinking that one product must clearly fit everyone's needs and therefore be superior than all other products in the same overall category again?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

There's a good demo video on it here:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsphone/archive/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-show-and-tell.aspx

It does look promising, but it's far too early to tell if it will be as nice as it appears . It does seem like a breath of fresh air from MS at least, massive change from Windows Mobile 6.x. More competition in the smartphone industry is great news at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

"Finally, a few days ago Adobe confirmed that there will be no Flash support on Windows Phone 7"
    From here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_announces_the_all_new_windows_phone_7_series_platform-news-1456.php

I'll stick with my Samsung Jet for now then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Youtube is probably the biggest video website in the world. It's got a huge userbase.

By all means spam youtube.com with videos of microsoft phones etc. But on a microsoft website, I'd expect that they would use their own video servers.

The video quality on youtube is poor. When someone is on your website you have them in YOUR userbase. There is no advantage is pawning them off to a competitors website. Giving google a chance to find out who they are, their IP number, see if they have a gmail account, doubleclick them to websites to sell them a Google Nexus One phone!

Microsoft is a dysfunctional company run today by naive morons, who have nothing going for them other than a huge legacy monopoly in PC operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Microsoft is a dysfunctional company run today by naive morons, who have nothing going for them other than a huge legacy monopoly in PC operating systems.

I'm lost for words. I presume you meant to add a bit more to the end of your post and not end with such a poorly thought out dig?

Plates wrote: »
    I'm lost for words. I presume you meant to add a bit more to the end of your post and not end with such a poorly thought out dig?

You sound like a true blue Microsoftie! Perhaps they pay for your daily supply of oats?

• Operating System Market share - 92.00%
    • Browser Market share - 60%
    • Productivity Market share -80%
    • Web Server - 43%
    • Gaming - 39 million Xbox 360 consoles worldwide

FY 09
    Revenue - US$ 58.437 billion
    Operating income - US$ 20.363 billion
    Net income - US$ 14.569 billion
    Total assets - US$ 77.888 billion
    Total equity - US$ 39.558 billion

Oh yeah, really dysfunctional.... :rolleyes:

Lets compare with the competition shall we?

Apple Inc
    FY09
    Revenue - US$42.91 billion
    Operating income - US$11.74 billion
    Net income - $8.24 billion
    AUM - US$26.83 billion
    Total assets - US$47.50 billion
    Total equity - US$31.64 billion

Google
    Revenue - US$ 21.796 billion
    Operating income -US$ 6.632 billion
    Net income - US$ 4.227 billion
    Total assets - US$ 31.768 billion
    Total equity - US$ 28.239 billion

Clearly Microsoft have no clue about business...

I could go on and on... I really don't like people just bashing Microsoft for the sake of it. This thread is about the 7 phone.

From using WinMob as a business phone, I found loads of issues with it... It really just was not up to the job. The iPhone replaced it and I love it... I think it has a few flaws but they are outweighed by the features I needed. I am honestly exciting about the Win 7 phone, but I will have to see how development goes from here.

I will say the ZuneHD is a sweet mp3 player and has a cool UI so its great to see them cross calibrating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

MS are where they are merely because of bad decisions made elsewhere, and their use of their OS monopoly ( hence the 60% market share in browser). I think they are facing real competition now outside the PC world.

From the OP's link
    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

That's not the server being down. Thats a bug in the code hosting the site. Is that really a MS site?

Not very promising.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ladies, please put down the handbags ;)

Once upon a time the computer industry was know as "IBM and the 7 dwarfs"

I can remember when Microsoft bailed out Apple with a $150 million loan

And the whole AOL/Time Warner thing.

Things change.

Microsoft know a lot about business, some would even say that's what they do best.

It all depends on what you want in a phone,
    for me #1 is reliability as a phone and after that lots of bright and shiny :D

Ladies, please put down the handbags ;)

Its not a handbag... its a laptop bag... :eek:

• Operating System Market share - 92.00%
    • Browser Market share - 60%
    • Productivity Market share -80%
    • Web Server - 43%
    • Gaming - 39 million Xbox 360 consoles worldwide

FY 09
    Revenue - US$ 58.437 billion
    Operating income - US$ 20.363 billion
    Net income - US$ 14.569 billion
    Total assets - US$ 77.888 billion
    Total equity - US$ 39.558 billion

Oh yeah, really dysfunctional.... :rolleyes:

Lets compare with the competition shall we?

Apple Inc
    FY09
    Revenue - US$42.91 billion
    Operating income - US$11.74 billion
    Net income - $8.24 billion
    AUM - US$26.83 billion
    Total assets - US$47.50 billion
    Total equity - US$31.64 billion

Google
    Revenue - US$ 21.796 billion
    Operating income -US$ 6.632 billion
    Net income - US$ 4.227 billion
    Total assets - US$ 31.768 billion
    Total equity - US$ 28.239 billion

Clearly Microsoft have no clue about business...

I could go on and on... I really don't like people just bashing Microsoft for the sake of it. This thread is about the 7 phone.

From using WinMob as a business phone, I found loads of issues with it... It really just was not up to the job. The iPhone replaced it and I love it... I think it has a few flaws but they are outweighed by the features I needed. I am honestly exciting about the Win 7 phone, but I will have to see how development goes from here.

I will say the ZuneHD is a sweet mp3 player and has a cool UI so its great to see them cross calibrating!

I did say "who have nothing going for them other than a huge legacy monopoly in PC operating systems."

You could post similar rubbish for CIE - the group has 100% of the rail market in Ireland, probably 95% of the bus market etc etc. Yet they are a dysfunctional company.

Search google for "dysfunctional" and "microsoft" - 268,000 results
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/#hl=en&source=hp&q=microsoft+dysfunctional&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=3924d942911e63bb

Google biased you say!

Ask the same question of Bing - it yields 436,000 results
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=microsoft+dysfunctional&go=&form=QBLH&qs=n&sc=8-5

Obviously not all the search results relate to the dysfunctionality of Microsoft as a company..... but there is no smoke without fire.

Yeah, good chap :rolleyes:

Google search for "Google" and "dysfunctional" - 1,340,000 for dysfunctional google. (0.46 seconds)

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENIE282&q=dysfunctional+google+&btnG=Search&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Baised you say?

Bing Search - 970,000 results
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=Google+and+dysfunctional&form=QBLH&qs=n

Now my maths is a bit rusty but seems they is more hits for Google been dysfunctional then Microsoft....

As you said "No smoke without fire"....

:rolleyes

Anyway, Engadget has a complete round-up of everything 7 -

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/17/windows-phone-7-series-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

testicle wrote: »

They haven't really gone into specifics about multi-tasking. Apparently, it will have multi-tasking to a certain degree but it will be limited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They haven't really gone into specifics about multi-tasking. Apparently, it will have multi-tasking to a certain degree but it will be limited.
    reminds me of the days when Word could first multitask , well if you count background printing as multitasking that is :p

marketing is always to be taken with a pinch of salt / dissing M$ has always been popular.

what do theregister.co.uk say about it ?
    they are nice and cynical about everything, een the stuff they like and cut through the BS like a hot thing through dairy spread.

Advertisement