Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice Needed - Car Insurance Claim Issue

Options
  • 15-02-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I don't want to go into details regarding the Insurer, but would like advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation to this.

I was involved in an accident in mid-2009, where a truck hit my car while I was stopped in traffic and completely removed/destroyed my drivers side wing mirror. The truck driver admitted liability and provided me with his insurance details. I called my insurer, explained the scenario fully and provided them with the third party's insurance details. The agent advised me that in order to get the damage repaired quickly, I should make the claim against my own policy and that my insurer would then pursue the third party for compensation. As I could not safely drive my car in that condition, I agreed to go ahead with the claim on my policy. I took the car directly to a repair garage that was specified by my insurer, and I was provided with a courtesy car for the few days it took to fix my car.

I received no communication from my insurer in the intervening period, so I naively assumed that they had sorted everything out. Lesson learned...

Today I received my policy renewal notice. My insurer has completely nullified my No Claims Discount (it was a full 5 or 6 years worth) and has increased my premium by more than 60%.

I was unable to contact them this evening, but intend to call them first thing in the morning. Can anyone advise me whether I have grounds to demand the restoration of my No Claims Discount and have my premium reduced to its previous level? I still have the name of the agent who advised me to claim against my policy, as well as all the other details pertaining to the incident.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors as you'll get more targeted advice there.

dudara

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If your insurers didn't recover their outlay it's bye bye NCB.

p.s. Must have been a very pricey wing mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It would appear that the amount was not significant enough for your insurers to recover their outlay. Anyway, there is a method to resolve it.
    Ask your insurers did they take any action in recovering the amount of the claim. If they did and failed, it could be that liability might be difficult to prove (your word against his etc). I'm not disputing that you are in the right, it's just that stories change when people notify claims.

If your insurers have done nothing to recover the outlay, offer to repay the amount of the claim to have your NCB reinstated. Then persue your own claim directly against the other party's insurers. Your own insurers will give you copies of the documentation you provided them with to assist. If your own insurers assessed and verified the claim, their findings will be accepted by the TP's insurers and then you only need the driver to confirm his liability for the accident

It can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

oldyouth wrote: »
    If your insurers have done nothing to recover the outlay, offer to repay the amount of the claim to have your NCB reinstated. Then persue your own claim directly against the other party's insurers. Your own insurers will give you copies of the documentation you provided them with to assist. If your own insurers assessed and verified the claim, their findings will be accepted by the TP's insurers and then you only need the driver to confirm his liability for the accident

It can be done

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing earlier today, but my insurer has not suggested that as a possibility. They are currently reviewing the claim and I am hoping to hear back from them soon enough. If I did decide to take that route, and my insurers had already failed in their attempts to recover the amount, what realistic chance would I have of recovering it as an individual with no experience of these things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You can sue the driver of the truck! His insurance company will have to deal with it. You were suckered into agreeing to claim from your own insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭maidhcII

TskTsk wrote: »
    I was unable to contact them this evening, but intend to call them first thing in the morning. Can anyone advise me whether I have grounds to demand the restoration of my No Claims Discount and have my premium reduced to its previous level? I still have the name of the agent who advised me to claim against my policy, as well as all the other details pertaining to the incident.

Yes, your no claims should be unaffected, my understanding is that there is a protocol in place between insurers and the MIBI that people insured comprehensively deal with their own insurer, and the insurer in turn seeks a contribution. Although I never had cause to use them, the Financial Services Ombudsman should help you in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

maidhcII wrote: »
    Yes, your no claims should be unaffected, my understanding is that there is a protocol in place between insurers and the MIBI that people insured comprehensively deal with their own insurer, and the insurer in turn seeks a contribution. Although I never had cause to use them, the Financial Services Ombudsman should help you in this case.
    This has nothing to do with the MIBI assuming the other person was fully insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

TskTsk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same thing earlier today, but my insurer has not suggested that as a possibility. They are currently reviewing the claim and I am hoping to hear back from them soon enough. If I did decide to take that route, and my insurers had already failed in their attempts to recover the amount, what realistic chance would I have of recovering it as an individual with no experience of these things?
    Remember, it is a no claim bonus, not a no blame bonus. If they pay out, it affects your NCB. If they tried and failed, you would probably suffer the same fate. There must be something on the file to warrant them not thinking they would be successful. Ask to see what the other side have come up with as a counter argument

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Wow - They sound like a great Insurer, when its all sorted please post full details so we can all sign up and throw wasted premium money at the useless Dopes :rolleyes:

In the meantime best of luck in sorting it out & I'd definitely let them know you mean business in a very convincing and forthright way, nice People finish last in their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

Thanks for the advice and info folks, I'll let ye know the outcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement