Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Declaring Engine Conversions

Options
  • 15-02-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Recently while checking out EK9 Civics on DoneDeal I've noticed that there seems to be quite a few Civics up for sale with Teg Type R engines in them. These ads usually also contain the phrase "1.4 ON LOG BOOK!!" I wonder just how many cars like this are being insured as 1.4's when in reality they have quite a lot more power (and in some cases probably a base model that wont handle that power very well). Gotta say this seems like a very stupid practise as if someone crashes one of these they are most likely going to get completely screwed by the insurance company! Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ah yeah..load of skangers who are aiming to sell the car to another skanger.
    Anyone who likes their cars wouldn't buy a car that wasn't properly declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ring them up, get the reg, ask them who there insured with as you want to know who gives the best quotes, then ring the insurance company and inform them.

The less of this immature BS on our roads the cheaper our insurance will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

My thoughts would need to be censored.

I wouldn't trust the quality of the conversion either if they've skimped on the insurance part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

To answer your question you need to declare the capacity change to both the insurance company and the Tax office.

At the end of the day anyone driving these cars is driving un-insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

why the garda or the customs don't follow up on this i don't know

it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel

ring as for the reg so you can do a motor finance check run reg arrange to meet verify that the car is not taxed or insured and has a fraudulant document qed

• Advertisement

Tigger wrote:
    why the garda or the customs don't follow up on this i don't know

it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel

ring as for the reg so you can do a motor finance check run reg arrange to meet verify that the car is not taxed or insured and has a fraudulant document qed

I'd actually love that job!

write to the minioster in charge

the job wouyld be self funding as the costs saved and fines would easialy be enuff to pay you

if you get it send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thats entrapment which thanks to the good Human rights people is illegal to do

no such thing as entrapment in irish law

also they are advertising it as a type r with a fradulant 1.4 entry on the logbook so even if there was such thing as entrapment in irish law it would not apply
    as entrapmen is the encourgment of a crime by police not the investigation of a crime that has already occured

here is the relavant article

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4508741

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 porcelain

iv had plenty of cars with conversions ie bigger engines fitted than stated on log book and all have been insured 100% legal.i have a motor traders policy that covers me for any engine size and any modifycations.the only reason i dont declare it is because im not a fan of paying more tax than i am already.whats on the log book does not nesscerily affect the car being insured but the vehicle being correctly taxed which is a technicality in my eyes..

• Advertisement

porcelain wrote:
    i have a motor traders policy that covers me for any engine size and any modifycations.

If you're insured then I don't care, I'm guessing you're in the minority though.
    What insurer is that btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If the engine has been changed for a larger/different one then you may as well buy a fake insurance cert as its worth as much as a policy for the original engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

porcelain wrote: »
    iv had plenty of cars with conversions ie bigger engines fitted than stated on log book and all have been insured 100% legal.i have a motor traders policy that covers me for any engine size and any modifycations.the only reason i dont declare it is because im not a fan of paying more tax than i am already.whats on the log book does not nesscerily affect the car being insured but the vehicle being correctly taxed which is a technicality in my eyes..

Right :p,Id say you might want to give your insurance company a call in the morning.

I'm pretty sure he means its fully insured but fraudulently taxed.

Advertisement