Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on clean install of XP on a PC that currently dual boots...

Options
  • 15-02-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I want to do a clean install of XP on a machine that is currently set up to dual boot XP and FreeBSD

Basically i want to wipe the FreeBSD installation and the old installation of XP and start from scratch. My questions is can i just format both partitions at the time of the XP install and install as normal (ideally merging hte partitions but this isn't entirely nessecary as i could live with a partitioned hard drive as long as i can use the second partition for storage from within the XP installation) or is there some issue with the boot manager (as the windows boot manager was obviously wiped and replaced for dual boot purposes when BSD was installed)

regards,

danny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

When you stick in the Windows CD, you'll get an option to delete partitions. If you delete one partition, it'll become "Unpartitioned Space".

If you delete any other partitions, it all becomes part of that unpartitioned space. So if you delete both partitions, they will merge into a large, unused space.

You'll also have the option to make a new partition. I think that you should make the secondary partition in this way, then install XP into the remaining free space (it'll make its own partition).

Hope that helps. ;)

Advertisement