Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski carriage on charter flights

Options
  • 15-02-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

I've been receiving different info on the subject - whether they're chargeable or not.

A mate of mine has showed up at the airport with the skis with no prebooking, and they were transported no problems.

A quick call to the travel agent (crystal in my case) reveal that they will charge €30 return, and if not prebooked you might get charged a lot higher.

Can anyone shed more light for me please.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Should be on their TCs on their website, in general they charge €30. I have turned up and as the check in staff do not work for Crystal, Inghams etc so got away without paying. However if you are charged at airport, think it's €60-70.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

It may also depend on whether they fit in your weight allowance. If you have a 20kg weight allowance and your skis and luggage is less than that, they have no real reason to charge you extra. If it brings it over, then they can certainly charge more. Most packages charge on the basis that you can't fit all your luggage, skis and boots in less than 20kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

What do the budget airlines charge, I've always though of buying your own skiis as prohibitive as by the time you've gotten them out there you've paid near the equivalent cost of rental

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yeah, I haven't bothered with buying skis for years because of this. I'd rather hire and get top of the range new skis each year. Now, boots are another matter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can't remember being charged for skis on a charter flight before, had to tell them before hand but I'm sure there wasn't an extra charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I dont get what you are asking here? You wondered if you would be charged for your skis and rang your operator. They told you it would cost you €30.

Are you wondering if you dont pay and turn up with the skis will you be charged? Well not only will you be charged you also run the risk of your skis not even being allowed on. They will only book a certain number of skis on each flight.

Just pay the €30.

I worked for Crystal for 3 years in the early 2000`s and they always charged for ski carriage on their flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah just to confirm that when we went away last week with Directski.com, who were using Bmi, the check-in staff were very strict on both weight and whether or not we had board carraige. One of our group hadn't and they made her pay €29 each way (she gambled on only paying one way and got away with it in Geneva).

I have always paid the extra when booking the holiday just for peice of mind but I have known people to get away without paying previous years.

They were also very strict on the normal baggage allowance, one of the guys bags was over 26kg (allowance was 20kg). said he'd have to pay €13/kg over, so he opens the bag and takes out a backpack which was in his main bag and carries this on board, puts his main bag back up on the scales, now weighs 20.5kg and the woman say yeah thats fine.
    Wtf difference does it make if its in the hold or in the over-head locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Seems to be a mixed bag of answers.. Its all gonna depend on the day and who is at the desk..

Ive never booked in my board bag or been charged for it at the airport, usually travel light anyway(just my board bag and a carry on).

Tried to charge me in JFK in june coming home.. I had a board bag, suitcase(4kg over) and another smaller stowe away.. aer lingus wanted 170 off me.. \Talked my way around it..

Little wink to the nice lady behind the desk!!!!;)

Advertisement