Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling My parents - Help!

Options
  • 15-02-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi There, I'm 11 weeks this week with my first and am going home this weekend to tell my parents. I have been with my b/f for 5 years, we are engaged and I am in my mid twenties but Im really worried about how they will react. I know they will come around and be very supportive but initially I expect them not to be happy about it. It will be the first grandchild and I know they will worry about me, my career, not being married etc. Does anyone have any experience of how to break the news? I know if they are upset it will really upset me as I don't want to cause them stress or worry. Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

At the end of the day as a parent, if you are happy they will be happy, thats all that matters.

Best of Luck and have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Advice from me is make sure both you and your fiancé are present when telling the parents. I told my mam and dad on a spur of the moment at 8 weeks pregnant on my first while the OH was in work and they were very disappointed that he hadn't been there to quench their fears of him leaving me while I was pregnant.

It did take my dad a while to come around to his daughter being pregnant but he dotes on his grand daughter and cannot wait for his second grand child to be born either :)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I wasd totally conviced that my Husbands parents were going to be devastated when we announced our news. So much so that I burst into tears!

Turns out that they were delighted for us! I'm sure your parents will be fine. If you're happy I'm sure they will be happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Thanks for the replies. I know I am probably being silly and over-thinking things but I just feel that their doubts and worries will confirm all the doubts and worries I have myself that I won't be able for it all. Will just have to man up and get it over with I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭XxXciaraxXx

I was in the exact same boat as you! I only found out a week and a half ago that I was pregnant and was dreading telling my parents even though I am with my boyfriend for the past 6 years and we bought a house together 2 years ago! It as my mam I was more scared of telling though!

Went to the doctor last wednesday to confirm everything and we had decided to tell them that evening! Was shaking with nerves from the minute I walked in their front door. Bout half an hour there and I blurted out 'dont be angry, but Im pregnant'! Tears just started flowing out of me then for no reason!

Dad was delighted and reached for the champers and mam was a bit shocked! She didnt say much to begin with! We left after about a half hour of talking in which she was still shocked, but she wasnt angry! Rang my sister when I left to see if she could get mams real reaction outta her and let me know! She said she was delighted but shocked and had gone to the off license to get more champagne and a few cans for her and dad!

Do definately bring your partner when you are telling them. Whatever the first reaction is, they will be happy for you. They are your parents and of course they want the best for their daughter. My mam even told me she didnt tell her mam until she was 6 months pregnant with me!

Best of luck with it anyway, but im sure it'll be fine. The situation was worse in my head than what it panned out to be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tmeos you have to set the tone of how it goes, if you are bright and breezey and happy about it they will take thier que from you. Landing in all happy and congratulating them telling them they are going to be granny and granddad can do wonders.

Before that mind have a good think about all the possible questions and concerns they will have and have your anwsers ready for them so they know you have tought about it and looked at a lot of the angles and this is something you have been thinking about and have under control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Totally agree with the tone of it ..If you act like your happy with it then they will be happy for you.

I was only with my boyfriend a few months when we found out so that was the major shock for us but my parents are getting really excited now because we are :) we thought they would kill us :D
    Dont panic about it ..Its their first grandchild so no matter what they will support you and as for the worry bit ..They would be worried anyway all you can do is let them know that you will be looking after yourself and the baby and that you will give them updates on your progress ..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20 AGrownUpTheySay

I found myself in a similar situation - I was engaged a couple of months when I found out i was pregnant. To make matters worse, mum and dad weren't that chuffed about the engagement.
    Anyway, I told my mum over the 'phone (as I was in England, they were in France) and the way I put it was "mum, I have news, it's good news but it's coming at a bit the wrong time" (or something along those lines). She then guessed what it was and, being a HUGE fan of babies, was actually delighted really after the iniital shock. BOth my parents dealt with it a LOT better than the engagement.
    I hope it goes well for you,
    AGUTS

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I waited until I was 5 months regnant and my mother was in Peru to tell her;)
    She was delighted and loves our little girl:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

I handed my mother the scan picture and said "look what I have"!
    She was shocked but delighted. They'll be delighted, why wouldn't they be!
    Let us know how you get on..
    Bubbles :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Hi all,

Just to say thanks a million for all your help with this. I went down this weekend took your advice and kept it upbeat and they were absoloutley fine. A bit surprised but really happy. I feel a million times better now and can't believe I spent two months obsessing about this! Thanks again to everyone who gave advice, it was much appreciated.

Advertisement