Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320/325Ci/320Cd M-sport (E46)

Options
  • 15-02-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Lads and ladies, kind of on the lookout for a clean BMW E46 M-Sport Coupé (facelift model).

Necessities:

* Facelifted model (> late 2003 reg on)
    * M-Sport
    * 6-Pot petrol, but consider 4-Pot diesel
    * No larger than 2500cc
    * Manual
    * Service history documented
    * Leather

Nice to haves:

* Bluetooth
    * Xenon headlights

Colour preference:

* Any colour really, although..
    * Steel Grey
    * Steel Blue
    * Titan Silver
    * Not really after any black shades but will consider every car at this stage!

Cheers for any help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'd have the petrol every time, yes tax would be a b!tch but the tax savings on the diesel will be a pittance compared to the almost certain inferior reliability.

The manual 320 diesel has a DMF so that's €2k down the drain every 60,000-100,000 miles and that's before we get to injectors, swirl flaps(most famous for going on 530ds but also very common on 320d), and of course what 320ds of that era are famous for... lunching turbos.

Yes the petrol like the diesel has MAF problems and like every BMW the cooling system will fail eventually but I'd still rather be paying to replace a MAF than a DMF or a turbo I know that much. Even if you were going for autos I'd still choose petrol because of the reliabilty.

The petrol obviously will sound a lot better(if that kind of thing is important) being a 6 cyl too, so it's no contest for me anyway. Because of tax etc I would expect that the petrols are cheaper making it all the more of a reason to buy one over the diesel.

You only live once and you should think about that when buying, there'll be plenty of time for a diesel when you're older;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Why 4 pot diesel or 6 pot petrol!? Surely you have these mixed up. There is no refinement with a 4 pot diesel and it rattles like a cutlery drawer! A 6 pot diesel (330d) on the other hand is a fantastic engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

WacoKid wrote: »
    Why 4 pot diesel or 6 pot petrol!? Surely you have these mixed up. There is no refinement with a 4 pot diesel and it rattles like a cutlery drawer! A 6 pot diesel (330d) on the other hand is a fantastic engine.
    There's no denying that a 6 cylinder diesel has a less unpleasant rattle than the 4 cyl, but in terms of acoustics neither can hold a candle to the 6 cyl petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

6 pot petrol, no contest. Unless you are doing serious milage to offset the cost of petrol versus diesel, I would not bring the hassle of a unreliable diesel engine upon myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

All valid points lads... however that was not the intent of my post!

As you can see I'm on the lookout for a decent/clean facelifted coupé. Either a 320Ci or 325Ci - 6 cylinder petrol.
    If all else fails I would give consideration to a 320Cd... but a 6 cylinder petrol is where the heart is leading the searching!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

For what you're looking for I'd go to www.bmw.ie and search used cars.

The criteria you're looking for will be easier to find at a main dealer.

Thanks Mark, been there too. Looking across the water as well, but 36% VRT is having a knock-on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Pity - I have all of that but Automatic :)

Edit: I should elaborate: a 03 325Ci M-Sport Black facelift, with dark tanned leather (heated), bluetooth, harman carman upgrade in metallic black, with FSH from BMW then AC Car sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I have been 'browsing' with regards to importing a good BMW, circa €25k, and the price diff is not really there any more. It may even come to buying in UK + VRT is more expensive....swings and roundabouts!! :eek:

WacoKid wrote: »
    I have been 'browsing' with regards to importing a good BMW, circa €25k, and the price diff is not really there any more. It may even come to buying in UK + VRT is more expensive....swings and roundabouts!! :eek:

I hear you, there is zero in it when it comes to a petrol car... couple of quick quotes I've done, was actually working out more expensive than the going rate over here. Currency aint helping either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement