Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiators, moving, and horizontal vs vertical

Options
  • 15-02-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Well, it seems like this would be the right thread for my question - and there are no answers here that I have missed!

I am looking to buy a place at the moment, and am wondering if anyone can help me with two questions:

The first is whether there are any important differences between horizontal and vertical radiators? The vertical ones obviously take up less wall space, which is what I want, but I don't know whether there are any negatives in relation to heat output or anything else?

And secondly, does anyone know how easy it is to change radiators, remove horizontal and install vertical ones? I'll be a first time buyer, with no knowledge of such things - I'd be getting a plumber to do the job. I have been told by someone that it's a simple matter, but I'd like to get some opinions.

many thanks
    Wendy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Hi Wendy

I am a plumber and I can tell you that there is no difference in output between vertical and horizontal radiator.

On changing horizontal to vertical.
    You would not get a vertical rad to fit in the same position as a horizontal. To get the same output radiator in vertical as the horizontal one it would be a lot narrower than the horizontal one. The pipework would have to be altered to make it asteticly pleasing. It you didn't give two hoots what way the pipes looked well then it would be a little easier. Either way the heating system would have to be drained down to do the work.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Nerilka wrote: »
    Well, it seems like this would be the right thread for my question - and there are no answers here that I have missed!

I am looking to buy a place at the moment, and am wondering if anyone can help me with two questions:

The first is whether there are any important differences between horizontal and vertical radiators? The vertical ones obviously take up less wall space, which is what I want, but I don't know whether there are any negatives in relation to heat output or anything else?

And secondly, does anyone know how easy it is to change radiators, remove horizontal and install vertical ones? I'll be a first time buyer, with no knowledge of such things - I'd be getting a plumber to do the job. I have been told by someone that it's a simple matter, but I'd like to get some opinions.

many thanks
    Wendy

Depends on which rad your talking about, some verticals (feature rads) are high output, if made of aluminum rad will have a higher output for same size of standard rad (mild steel). They are a great rad but cost way more.

Its not a matter of fitting a rad in the right space, you have to size up rad to suit rooms heat loss requirement so you might find areas where you've decided to locate rad will not give sufficient amount of output, just a thought to bear in mind.

You wont really be able to select rads until heat loss calculations worked out. Anything is possible, once rad has output that matches room requirement you can fit a rad vertical / horizontal, no difference apart from look.

Underfloor heating is ideal when short space or when rad might take away from look of room, another option to think of. Under floor works different, takes time to heat up so its not a case of banging on heating for an hour, you have to plan ahead and time heating to suit, best thing is, underfloor works at temps as low as 20 degrees, more than enough to heat room where as rads work from 60 up to 85. Savings can be made (heating bills) but all depends on type of heating system you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

They give same outputs as already stated but God the vertical rads are far more expensive than their horizotal cousins. Compare prices of each to help make up your mind.

Wendy

The ideal place for a rad is under a window, anywhere else is a second best and opposite is a no no.
    Micky is right the vertical rad are more expensive but i dont think it would be as expensive as converting to underfloor. It is an option you should think about though because it is a great system when installed correctly and used correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nerilka

Thanks everyone.

I'd love to get underfloor heating, but that's going to have to wait until I have saved up, or won the lottery! In the meantime, the moving to vertical is required to fit furniture, so that can't really wait. And I won't be moving ones that are under windows.

Do you reckon the job (if moving 3 radiators) should be doable in a day?

• Advertisement

Hi Wendy

It's hard to say, It depends on how far the pipes have to be altered. If the plumber dose get it done and finishes late in the evening he might not want to refill the system just in case something happens.

Also depending on the general condition of the system you might want to think about getting it flushed before you install your new vertical radiators.

And make sure the plumber put an inhibitor into the system when he is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Nerilka

Thanks again. Showing my total ignorance - what's an inhibitor in connection with radiators?!

An Inhibitor is a chemical that is added to the system to prevent scale and corrosion, It will protect the new radiators but wont be much good for the old ones unless the system is flushed.

Advertisement