Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DCU - I hope

Options
  • 15-02-2010 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am doing my leaving this year, I hope to be studying Mechatronic Engineering next year in DCU. I was wondering what is the best way to work on stuff at university level, as in note taking? Laptop any use? Much point buying any books? Lecture notes good?

I imagine its much the same for all engineering courses. Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Ian.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Carebear11 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am doing my leaving this year, I hope to be studying Mechatronic Engineering next year in DCU. I was wondering what is the best way to work on stuff at university level, as in note taking? Laptop any use? Much point buying any books? Lecture notes good?

I imagine its much the same for all engineering courses. Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Ian.
    Hey,

Firstly, best of luck in your LC! I'm sure you'll get in to Engineering if you really want it and have a genuine interest as you have shown in your post. I'm in 1'st year myself but I'm not doing physics, rather biology. I'm sure you'll be spending your time in the lovely physics building ( its not nice ) and doing lectures / tutorials / physics labs throughout the college. A laptop is not necessary, but its good to keep one at home just to check assingments etc.

Regarding note taking, lecturers are very nice and are very helpful when it comes to note taking. There is a website called moodel.dcu at which lecturers put up their notes. However, it does not suffice. I would suggest just going in with an a4 and a pen, and just taking down notes. The note taking is slow and quite easy. They go at a fairly reasonable pace. Books are absolutely necessary when they come with a special keycode linked to some online thing, otherwise they are not. Nevertheless, I would totally recommend getting what the lecturers say. Yes - they are expensive, yes they sell them here on campus and yes they are worth it, atleast for 1'st year. The library has flexible lending times if your tight in the economy. I'm sure first year is much like all engineering course, and then you specialize towards your final years.

The workload usually keeps you bussy throughout the week if your not a waster and you'll be doing physics and maths more than anything else.

Lastly, college is great craic. Don't sweat and again, best of luck in your leaving!

Hope I helped,
    E=mc2

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JoePie

moodle.dcu.ie is the website, and its grand. It just depends on how much the lecturer uses it. Some prefer to use their own site for notes, some would prefer the old fashioned way of coming to class with a pad and pen. I think theres a 'Take A Tour' option up their.

And a laptop would definitely be a good investment if you don't already have one.

Advertisement