Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Renault Megane

Options
  • 14-02-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am thinking of buying a renault megane, availing of the scrappage scheme. On the renault website;

1.5 dCi 86 Coupe
    € 20,900
    € 3,100
    € 1,500
    € 1,500
    € 14,800

20,900 = Total price

3100 = Trade in

1500 = Renault scrappage

1500 = Gov. Scrappage

My question: Will I get the 3100 off regardless of the condition of my car? My car will be scrapped anyway, so where is the 3100 coming from here? Is it a case that the megane will cost 20,900 - 3100 OR 20,900 - 1500 - 1500?

Sorry for such basic questions. Never went shopping for a car before!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Yes, you will get the full amount off, the €3,100 'trade in' is simply a Renault discount, they could have called it anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

The 86 HP is not enough for the Megane. If you can afford it, go for the 6 speed 105 HP model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hantari

The 86 HP is not enough for the Megane. If you can afford it, go for the 6 speed 105 HP model.

Thats the one with a special price =
    € 18,400? Not sure I can stretch to that :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Wouldnt be too worried OP, the 86bhp model wont exactly be fast but it would be "adequate" as long as you're not used to anything quicker, it will be fine for occasional overtaking and cruising at speed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The 85 bhp 5 speed is adequate, it's OK for overtaking and is pretty quiet for cruising at an indicated 130 km/h on the M-way. Also if somone is coming from an average petrol car of 1.6 or less, the 85 bhp diesel will probably *feel* quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hantari

Coming from 1.4 petrol car so hopefully it'll feel at least as quick as that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

hantari wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a renault megane, availing of the scrappage scheme. On the renault website;

1.5 dCi 86 Coupe
    € 20,900
    € 3,100
    € 1,500
    € 1,500
    € 14,800

20,900 = Total price

3100 = Trade in

1500 = Renault scrappage

1500 = Gov. Scrappage

My question: Will I get the 3100 off regardless of the condition of my car? My car will be scrapped anyway, so where is the 3100 coming from here? Is it a case that the megane will cost 20,900 - 3100 OR 20,900 - 1500 - 1500?

Sorry for such basic questions. Never went shopping for a car before!

Don't forget to push for extra discount! I was pricing a Megane Tourer yesterday and he knocked a grand off the price over and above the published discounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Was that with a trade in or straight deal Padraig ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Jip wrote: »
    Was that with a trade in or straight deal Padraig ?

+1

€13,800 then, that really is an amazing amount of car for the money. Oh for a banger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lainomac

Renault Megane... I have one, nothing but trouble, I wish someone had told me this before I bought mine, best piece of advice.... Dont touch one....

You mean don't touch the model you have. The only thing in common with what's being discussed now and what you have is the name.

And just another question, I'm assuming the trim level is the entry level one based on those figures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭teelinboy

I have a 10 year old 1.4 Megane Classic (saloon) with 133,000 miles on the clock. Always got serviced at main dealer - only trouble in 10 years was a failed power steering pump. Still starts first time everytime.

I have one too and am happy with it, but lets not stray off topic....it's been done to death.

This was straight deal. Worked as follows IIRC:

Dynamique full "scrappage" price is €16200 ex works.
    + metallic and delivery €1000 (was actually €950 or €1050 - can't remember which) = €17200.
    Exclude govt €1500 scrappage = €18700.
    Exclude €500 of Renault's discounts which isn't available unless trading in* = €19200.
    Less €1500 'dealer discount' = €17700 OTR.
    Entry model should be €1400 less = €16300.
    If he's telling the truth about €500 of Renault's discount only being applicable if scrapping, it would imply a price of €14300 OTR for the entry model if you are actually scrapping.

*Bollox I reckon. I think he's actually giving full Renault discount and dealer discount of €1000, but pretending it's €1500.

Should say as well that I simply asked for extra discount - there was no 'negotiations' or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

teelinboy wrote: »
    I have a 10 year old 1.4 Megane Classic (saloon) with 133,000 miles on the clock. Always got serviced at main dealer - only trouble in 10 years was a failed power steering pump. Still starts first time everytime.

:eek: Shhhhh!!! Don't let the car hear you saying that. Your asking for trouble.

Should say as well that I simply asked for extra discount - there was no 'negotiations' or anything!

That's a decent price, pretty similar to what I got, well my price is actually a little more but not a lot. I don't think you'll get much better as dealers I rang were all giving me dearer prices.

I'd be surprised he's giving you the government scrappage though as doesn't that come from the government itself, without a car they don't get it ? It's probably just additional dealer discounts wrapped up as the government scrappage.

Jip wrote: »
    I'd be surprised he's giving you the government scrappage though as doesn't that come from the government itself, without a car they don't get it ? It's probably just additional dealer discounts wrapped up as the government scrappage.

Govt scrappage isn't included in that. Edited post to clarify.

Interesting footnote: The 86 requires 20k/1 yr servicing; the 105 is 30k/2 yrs.

Weird, largely the same car and engine, we have the 106bhp previous version and that is every 12 months. Very weird.

• Advertisement

Weird, largely the same car and engine, we have the 106bhp previous version and that is every 12 months. Very weird.

Was that 12 month interval stated in the manual though or just by the dealer? In my experience, dealers (incl service staff) don't have a clue about modern service intervals.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Personally I'd stick to 20l/1 year if it was me buying.

I'm not a big fan of the way manufacturers have decided to extend service intervals lately. Especialluy when the same engines have already been in use for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Stekelly wrote: »
    Personally I'd stick to 20l/1 year if it was me buying.

I'm not a big fan of the way manufacturers have decided to extend service intervals lately. Especialluy when the same engines have already been in use for a few years.

Would this invalidate your warranty?

You are not servicing in accordance with the Manufacturers recommended guidelines?

Just curious?

Personally I'd stick to the recommendations while under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hard to see that they could refuse warranty claims if it was serviced more often than the spec.
    Longer intervals yes but shorter I wouldn't think so.

Advertisement