Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole for mature students?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 9:23pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you can sign on for the dole during the summer if you're a mature student?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 candysapple

You can claim Jobseekers Allowance if you satisfy the normal conditions

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/ja_jobseekall.aspx#condsumm

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

yes if you are on BTEA and without work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You have to be available for work to receive Jobseeker's allowance, and if you're a full-time student, you're not available during semester. The Welfare web link provided by candysapple says:
    JA Disqualification - course of study

The legislation also provides that a person shall be disqualified from receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance while attending a course of study (including school/college holiday periods), except in such circumstances as may be prescribed. The exceptions to this disqualifications are :
    1. persons aged 21 years or over who have been in receipt of JA/ JB for at least 6 months and who are participating in approved courses of education, training or development (as per above), and
    2. mature students, i.e. persons over 23 years of age on or before 1st January in the year in which the course of study commences.
    Deciding Officers should note that disqualification while attending a course of study is completely separate from the availability condition. As mature students are exempted from this disqualification, they may be entitled to Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday periods if they satisfy the availability condition in the normal way.
    (emphasis added)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 45 candysapple

the original post asked if it was possible to do so during the summer not semester. It applies if you would normally qualify for jobseekers allowance i.e. without work means tested etc and are a mature student. I am not aware of how the BTEA affects this as it is not explicitly mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

For me the situation was that I signed on during the summer (as you can't be a student when there is no college to go to therefore I was 'available for work') but then for the same reason you don't get the BTEA so be prepared for a drop in your income as you revert to the 'normal' amount on the dole. Short answer: yes, you can sign on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

breedie wrote: »
    For me the situation was that I signed on during the summer (as you can't be a student when there is no college to go to therefore I was 'available for work') but then for the same reason you don't get the BTEA so be prepared for a drop in your income as you revert to the 'normal' amount on the dole. Short answer: yes, you can sign on.

but after summer you can re-apply for BTEA yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

isabell wrote: »
    but after summer you can re-apply for BTEA yes?

yes, and also there is no drop, the BTEA is the exact same rate as the dole..maybe its different if your under 25 or 20 or something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

My mistake, there used to be a drop (perhaps because OH was on dole as well?) Just remember to inform the dole office at the end of the summer that you'll be returning to college so they can reinstate the BTEA. Give them the date a few weeks in advance and you should have no problem

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

breedie wrote: »

I don't get the BTEA, so where does that leave me?

Thanks for the replies folks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't get the BTEA, so where does that leave me?

Thanks for the replies folks :)

of course you can sign on..as long as you are looking for work :)

Advertisement