Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aside from Grants.. how are you funding yourself?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hiya,

I'd like to know how people are managing to fund themselves for rent, bills, VHI entertainment etc. Fingers crossed I'll be heading to DIT in September for four years, but I'm a little worried about how to fund myself. I've been in full time education for the past 5 years, can't stand what I do now, hence the going back to college. I should be eligible for a grant which would cover fees and two or three grand on top of that (I think), but as far as funding for everything else, I'm not sure what the best way is to go about it?

I will have to fund everything myself - my parents are not in a position to help at all (I wasn't planning on asking anyway, but it's not even an option). Do people normally get deferred student loans? I've loads of bar/waiting experience, but I'd say those kind of jobs will be fairly thin on the ground so I don't think I can plan to rely on that..

Also, do you reckon the government will start to cut grants, especially for people like me who are leaving full time employment to go back to college?

I'd really appreciate some people telling me how they are getting on financially and what experiences they have had.

Thanks a mill

Em

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

I finished college last year but I worked the whole way through.
    I made the most money working in a call centre part time, it can be annoying work but the pay is good and its guaranted hours.
    Its worked out much better than bar/waitressing ang shop work.
    Also try doing marketin promos and mystery shopping.
    Hope this is of some help as its not something most ppl think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

onechewy wrote: »
    VHI

thats a first, not really a priority that one, more the roof, food and heat for me I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I'd like to know too what people are living on.

Hopefully i will be going back to college this year. Going to a PLC college so the fees aren't the biggest problem. I have been told hours are ok in PLC colleges, so will give me the chance to work in the evenings. But all the talk about people losing jobs is scaring me, wouldn't they be the one's to go off and take the studenty type of jobs, if there's anything going?

Apart from that, i am saving now which will hopefully last a few months in a new place and county until i find the work.

Advertisement