Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for the Sheep farmers

Options
  • 14-02-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi, I had a look online but cannot seem to find an answer.

Are regular sheep used to make sheepskin rugs - the sheep just not being shorn before slaughter? Or are sheep specially bred to make sheepskin rugs?

What decides whether a sheep produces a skin for a rug or ...not, I suppose?

Cheers for any info.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

ya any sheep should do as long as its dead and wooly:D ,i remember my mother curing a few of them years ago, a lot of salt and salt petre had to be rubbed into them and the under side was smoothened with a pumice stone, they also had to be stretched or supported on a wooden frame to help them keep their shape ,im sure there is more to the process which i have forgotton

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Cheers,
    yeah, I've found the instructions for diy sheepskin rugs but not the answer I was looking for. :)
    So, sheep aren't necessarily shorn before they get to the abbatoir, then? It can be any old sheep that ends up as a pelt in front of a fireplace?

'Fair 'nuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

thats correct they are not shorn before slaughter ,but i would avoid Ram skins in aug or sept :D,skins not worth much in the past few years i think 5 e max if you want to give it a go i reckon abbatoirs would sell you some ,

Advertisement