Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New place. Want to get rid of some of the furnishings. Can I?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi, 2 questions:

I have just moved into a place with two grotty sofas. One grotty sofa is enough for me, so can I ask (by which I mean expect) the landlord to remove the one I don't want, or am I beholden to keep it where it is?

Second, the mattress in the place is terrible. It's clearly very very old, very very worn, badly stained, and the springs are very 'feelable'. Can I ask/expect the landlord to replace it with something more suitable? And if not, as above, can I insist he takes it away/allows me to dispose of it so that I can buy my own?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,765 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can ask, but he's under no obligation to do so - usually better to ask these questions before you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

Of course, but when you've finally found a decent place and there are other people outside the door waiting to view it, you have to move fast. Besides, who flips a mattress or thoroughly tests all lights, fittings, fixtures and appliances during a viewing? You have to trust.

It's that analogy that makes me wonder if I am in my rights to ask for a new mattress. I really don't think it is fit for purpose and that was not made clear to me, and if I were to discover the same about the microwave or heating for example I'd feel sure I had a right to repair/replacement.

Does your answer cover the mattress replacement question too, or just the getting rid of furnishings part?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Ask, be polite, if he refuses say that's a shame.

but people do flip mattresses - ireland has too many amateur LL's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You should really have clarified these things before moving in. Bit rich asking for it all now.

(S)he probably won't mind taking the grotty sofa out. But as for spending money on new mattress this probably should have been pointed out when you were signing contract ie. I want to move in but the mattress needs to be replaced.

By all means ask (politely), but I certainly would not "expect"

Advertisement