Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamic Warm up for martial arts

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Maybe this is for the fitness forum but I think more people might know what I'm talking about here. If its not appropriate to have it here maybe the MODS can move it.

I was looking through Martin Rooneys book - training for warriors.

Theirs warm up exercises supposedly for the upper body called:
    The Tiger crawl
    Gorilla Crawl
    Frog hop
    Crab walk
    Spider Crawl
    Side crawl

Does anyone do these?
    They seem to loosen out your lower body as well. The body isn't clear on what distinct muscle groups they work. What your experience of them?

I can't find anything on net about them. Is there anyone able to give me a link to videos or articles about them.

Thanks
    Keith

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Don't know the book but they sound good. There are lots of variations on the "walking" theme and sometimes the names get changed. What others call a bear crawl we call monkey walk for example, commando crawl, alligator walk etc. They're a good, fun warm up and dynamic as you've said. Are you looking for descriptions on how to do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

i dont train in martial arts or anything, but id say cossack squats would be good, warm up the groin area well imo.

cossack-squats.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeithReilly

Don't know the book but they sound good. There are lots of variations on the "walking" theme and sometimes the names get changed. What others call a bear crawl we call monkey walk for example, commando crawl, alligator walk etc. They're a good, fun warm up and dynamic as you've said. Are you looking for descriptions on how to do them?

Hi Barry,

Yeah I'm looking for descriptions if I could get some.

Do you use these in your training?

I'd imagine if you do group training x amount of times during the week you try to keep the warm up fresh and varied or do you stick with the one warm up?

i dont train in martial arts or anything, but id say cossack squats would be good, warm up the groin area well imo.

cossack-squats.jpg

Hi Cardio shoot me,

Do you use these yourself for any reason. I used to do them as part of my Taekwondo warm up. I'd consider it a dynamic stretch myself but I remember it been introduced at football training and a lad in his late 30's geting the worst cramp I've ever seen. He was literally stuck in that posistion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Hi Barry,

Yeah I'm looking for descriptions if I could get some.

Do you use these in your training?

I'd imagine if you do group training x amount of times during the week you try to keep the warm up fresh and varied or do you stick with the one warm up?
    warm ups can change but are always on the same theme. They're a bit hard to describe but if you bump this thread on Wednesday, I'll video the warm up we do pre-grappling and post a link on this thread probably Thursday. Sound good?

• Advertisement

warm ups can change but are always on the same theme. They're a bit hard to describe but if you bump this thread on Wednesday, I'll video the warm up we do pre-grappling and post a link on this thread probably Thursday. Sound good?

Sounds great. Thanks Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Hi Cardio shoot me,

Do you use these yourself for any reason. I used to do them as part of my Taekwondo warm up. I'd consider it a dynamic stretch myself but I remember it been introduced at football training and a lad in his late 30's geting the worst cramp I've ever seen. He was literally stuck in that posistion.

Hi keith, i use these for warm ups on deadlifts and squats, but i dont use any weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

TFW has a subscription channel on youtube. Great book by Rooney.

Theres a video here by Rooney that displays the warmup drills ,implementing Medicine balls with 1 arm pushups. lots of other videos related to the book as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSoN1PlDBMU

Advertisement