Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray job on a VW T35?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hiya just wondering has anyone any idea what sort of money one would have to cough up to get a spray job on one of these? We're going to go look a 1989 one in the next week (2 grand but prob manage to get a few hundred off) but it's just boring old white and Id really like it in red or green. What do ye reckon about spraying the top too?
    Also it has a loo and shower that I'm not really interested in, are they easy to take out?
    Anyone know what sort of price it'd be to get a swivel seat put in up the front?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You can paint a car yourself with a roller. Lots of elbow grease for sanding, sanding and more sanding envolved, but at least it's cheap. A proper paint job would cost you more than the van is worth.

Whatever you do ...keep the loo and the shower. Especially the loo makes all the difference, as it enables you to stay the night anywhere (and not just in places that offer nearby hedgerows :D)

As for the swivel seat ...there are swivel plates available that fit between your original seat and the runner, like so:
    3370004.jpgDrehkonsole1.jpg
    Most camping shops could get them, just make sure you get the right one for your model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

ye i'd agree with peasant....keep the toilet and roll paint it ....it's would be between 1500euro and 2000euro for full respray...and sure ye can get creativewickedvan.jpg

swivel plates should be handy enough to get....here's some i found on ebay myself
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T4-Driver-Seat-Swivel-plate-Campers-Westfalia_W0QQitemZ150413665486QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item23055a64ce

http://www.rainbowconversions.co.uk/Equipment/Seating/seating.htm

just make sure they'll suit your van.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

No shortage of elbow grease as the boyf is out of work these days, would it be easy enough to do a nice paint job ourselves so or would it look a bit streaky using the rollers?
    Ok I'll think again about the loo but I'd say it takes up a lot of room surely? The only time I could see me really needing it would be at a festival when the toilets are very manky but sure I've survived enough of those before :pac: Has anyone ever used those little portable chemical loos? I was thinkin one of those with a curtain around it would do us at festivals if it came out? And sure ye've got the baby wipes for the shower lol!
    You see my priority is to fit as many people (grown up ones) as possible as we'd only really be using it for parties and festivals and the odd road trip.
    Thats cool about the swivel seat looks fairly straight forwards would you need a mechanic to install one for you? We're total newbies (obviously) so really have no idea what we're doing here! :)

del88 wrote: »
    ye i'd agree with peasant....keep the toilet and roll paint it ....it's would be between 1500euro and 2000euro for full respray...and sure ye can get creative

swivel plates should be handy enough to get....here's some i found on ebay myself
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T4-Driver-Seat-Swivel-plate-Campers-Westfalia_W0QQitemZ150413665486QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories?hash=item23055a64ce

seen them on a few sites and most cost around 140 each.
    just make sure they'll suit your van.

Decent didn't think they'd be so cheap thats deadly! It'll depend on how many seats are up the front but if it's only two I'd love one. Surely postage'd be mad expensive on one of those with the weight of them!

Ya was thinking if we were to paint it of going super old school hippy styleez! Only I do it a bit more subtly and carefully than these but ya get the idea :D

2994619250_40e2c07fd0.jpg
    VW_hippie_peace_camper_kombi_wagen.jpg

You see my priority is to fit as many people (grown up ones) as possible as we'd only really be using it for parties and festivals and the odd road trip.
    Even in an LT, two up and two down is the most you will fit comfortably for sleeping ...removing the shower cubicle (which usually contains the loo as well) will not create an extra sleeping space (unless one of your friends sleeps upright :D)

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Even in an LT, two up and two down is the most you will fit comfortably for sleeping ...removing the shower cubicle (which usually contains the loo as well) will not create an extra sleeping space (unless one of your friends sleeps upright :D)

Lol I know what you mean but what I meant was to hang out in drinking tea and listening to music sort of thing! We go to a lot of gigs and fleadhs and the likes where we all end stuck out in the elements with no where to sleep or hang out so it'd be nice to be able to cram a few heads into the van to hang out after we get chucked out of what ever pub we'd infested! :p
    We often sleep rough under the stars around a camp fire and jsut bring sleeping bags with us in the summer but the weathers fairly unpredictable for that sort of carry on and has often ended in some fairly harsh sobering experiences lol!

I thought I'd check in and let ye know that I have today found a 76 pop top 2 litre WV T2 and have made a deal on it. As part of the deal (4 grand altogether) he's getting a mate to spray the van for us, so it's gonna be baby blue with yellow gingham curtains etc. it's gonna be beautiful I'm so excited! :D

Well wear and good luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

congrts....best of luck...you'll have to stick up some photos when your finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, best of luck with the wagon. Hope all goes well for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement