Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car NCT

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

my brother is getting his car NCT'd next week. he has recently lost his job and cannot afford tax or insurance at the minute (he bought the car without either). will the car fail the nct because of this or is there a chance he could be reported for it. the reason he is spending the money on the nct now is so that it is done for when he is able to save up for tax/insurance as i believe there is a wait for the nct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I don't think either are required for the NCT and but would be for driving the car to and from the NCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ButtercupTheCow

ARGINITE wrote: »
    I don't think either are required for the NCT and but would be for driving the car to and from the NCT.

yeah he is nervous he is going to pass a checkpoint. it would be just his luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

I know someone who put their car through the test last week with no tax and they didnt say anything about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

It would be his stupidity :rolleyes:

If it has no tax and no insurance it should not be on the road under any circumstances, therefore an NCT is not necessary. Wait until it is taxed and more importantly insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Please tell me he's not seriously considering driving uninsured just to get his NCT? As Absurdum said, that would be not only illegal but stupid beyond words. He should save up for his insurance & tax first, then get the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Driving uninsured would be completely idiotic. Forget about passing a check point, what if he was involved in an accident???

If he really wants to get it NCT'd, tow it or put it up on a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Why don't you name him on your insurance then transfer it over to his car for the day? You're just going to have to chance the tax - €80 fine if he's caught or could be taken off him if out for more than two months. Insurance would be the main worry. How much is it going to cost to tax it for three months?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If the car isn't taxed or insured then having it NCT'd is of no benefit (unless he's going to sell it). Why take the chance if there's no gain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ButtercupTheCow

I dunno what to say to him. The NCT test centre is about 15 minutes drive away and he is adamant "it'll be grand"...not so sure myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

he is a fool. Having no NCT would be a smaller offence than having no tax and MINUTE in comparison to having no Insurance. I hope he gets caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

i am often amazed at the self righteous attitudes shown on Boards.

I hope he does not drive the car without insurancerather than hope he gets caught.

If your brother has bought a car without NCt then i would advise him to proceed with the NCT check before getting tax.
    the car may need a lot of work done, or may even need too much work done.

he cannot tax it without insurance in any case.

All in all, if your brother has no job, no insurance,no tax, no NCT it be quite difficult to get himself on the road.

though he ,like many of us, is willing to risk the 15 minute drive to the test centre, it then becomes likely he will have a few spins in it as well.
    Ask him to re consider his plans

regard Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Self righteous? Its a major offence to drive with out insurance and I dont think its self righteous to hope anyone committing a major offence gets caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I dunno what to say to him. The NCT test centre is about 15 minutes drive away and he is adamant "it'll be grand"...not so sure myself.

What's the deal with his obsession with getting the NCT done? It should be his last priority after getting his insurance and then tax sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Good idea to run it through the test now. At least he will know where he is with costs etc. NOt having tax is not n issue for the NCT, after all, there was a time when you couldnt tax without an NCT so the test should come before taxing.
    Insurance wont be an issue for the testers either but do not drive it there without insurance. Either swap some family car insurance onto it for a day and get an insured person to drive there or else trailer it to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tow the car to the NCT. Problem solved. Just make sure the engine is properly warmed up before the test....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

sorry lads ..have been uable to get an NCT appointment recently and also have let the tax run out.. can i tax the car without NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cremeegg wrote: »
    sorry lads ..have been uable to get an NCT appointment recently and also have let the tax run out.. can i tax the car without NCT?
    Absolutely, definitely YES. :D

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement