Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alpine events postponed

Options
  • 13-02-2010 4:29am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/alpine_skiing/8511593.stm

The womens combined event for Sunday is already canceled as they won't be able to do their practice runs tomorrow now, and the mens that is supposed to be on tomorrow will probably be canceled as well although they have yet to decide on that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Temperature is too warm and snow is slushy, can't race unless a big freeze, currently +1C in Whistler village

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They are still trailing the Downhill as going ahead as planned in the halftime of the rugby segments. The web says that it's off until Monday though and that the mens luge is going to begin from the womens start slightly lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dom17

what a bummer i love watching the downhill and was all set for it, those guys have some balls, hope its on monday cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

They have built in 3 seperate back up days for each of the alpine event in the schedule. Seems like the games are cursed between the weather the accidents and the torch not working last night!

But once it all kicks off no one will care:D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I think because of the climate in Whistler, it's a dodgy place to stage ski racing. I think the organisers expected postponements, one reason the downhill was scheduled for day 1 was because it gives them over 2 weeks to stage it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only half caught the comment, but there was something said yesterday, possibly by Bell, about them no longer using Whislter(?) for any FIS World Cup events becasue the weather is too unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

robinph wrote: »
    I only half caught the comment, but there was something said yesterday, possibly by Bell, about them no longer using Whislter(?) for any FIS World Cup events becasue the weather is too unpredictable.

Didnt hear that.. bit mad.. They had a world cup event there last yr when i was over there and had perfect conditions for it.. went ahead on time..

Sure i was in Turin 1 week before that last olympics(went to see Juventus) and it hadnt snowed in over 6 weeks.. there was nothing on the hills.. then few days before it dumped..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

possibly by Bell, about them no longer using Whislter(?) for any FIS World Cup events becasue the weather is too unpredictable

Whistler was a regular World Cup Venue up untill about 6 years ago when FIS got sick of hoaving to postpone, reschedule and cancell races.

You probably caught the end of him talking abuot actually racing on the course Fado Fado

Mens combined cancelled today due to too much snow, and the Snowboard Cross delayed due to rain. :(

Advertisement