Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cairns to Sydney or Brisbane to Melbourne

Options
  • 12-02-2010 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

I will be in Oz for weeks in June, and wondering what the best route will be to see the best parts of the east coast.
    I was initially planning on going from Cairns down to Sydney, but there doesn't seem to be much up around Cairns - everything seems to be around Brisbane - Frazer island, Byron Bay etc.

Is there much to see between Sydney and Melbourne?
    Also trying to decide whether to rent a car for the 4 weeks, or take one of those bus tours.... Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

At that time of year I'd definitely do Cairns to Sydney, south of Brisbane is cold in June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭CitizenKeane

Cheers Daithí, mightn't bother going any further south than Sydney in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I will be in Oz for weeks in June, and wondering what the best route will be to see the best parts of the east coast.
    I was initially planning on going from Cairns down to Sydney, but there doesn't seem to be much up around Cairns - everything seems to be around Brisbane - Frazer island, Byron Bay etc.

Is there much to see between Sydney and Melbourne?
    Also trying to decide whether to rent a car for the 4 weeks, or take one of those bus tours.... Any ideas/suggestions welcome!

Just back from recent trip, went the opposite direction, Sydney-Brisbane and drive to Cairns (Port Douglas). In mid Jan locals were referring to the end of season and not much happening. They were right, boats were in because of mini cyclones etc, in June I imagine the main draw is probably the whales?

Its a quite area and if you're a big fan of the tropics then great, not sure if there is any risk of "goin' tropo in June"?

Forget the rest and spend as much time around the Whitsundays, Fraser is not bad, but a massive rip-off and fine for a swim if you take a stinger suit. A lovely island, apparently world heritage but today just a big 4WD playground and tourist honeypot.

Yeppoon is also worth a visit. Lots of quirky and some apparently dangerous places along the east coast, all in all pretty boring as a drive.

Biggest hazard is speed control and endless fields of sugar cane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭CitizenKeane

Well the tickets are booked now anyway :)
    2 weeks in Thailand followed by 4 in Oz. Plan is to travel from Cairns to Sydney.
    Does anyone know the best way of travelling down the coast that gives us the independence to stop off where we want when we want, but doesn't cost a fortune.
    Was thinking maybe rent a car/camper and sleep in it or bring a tent to pitch at night.

Advertisement