Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast pads

Options
  • 12-02-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey all....hoping to exclusively breastfeed here! Just got some lovely comfy nursing bra's in Marks and sparks and now clueless as what to do about breastpads!

I was given a few boxes of disposables for the hospital bag at my baby shower...but they were 4.30 or so for 30 pads. That seems pricey enough!

Can anyone tell me is cheaper to buy reusables? If so...how much are they and where can I get them? I know I've heard that the mothercare ones are sweaty and uncomftorable.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

To be honest you wont need many. I only used them for a few days. They only hurt for about two days, milk dried up pretty quick.

Are you planning bottle or breast feeding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Exclusive breast feeding ;)

Didn't think you'd actual make a post but I'd be interested in replies too as hoping to breast feed also...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

sorry i'm half asleep i only read half it. just back from the hospital. I seen reusable ones in boots the time i was buying disposable ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I got 200 Avent ones free when I bought my breast pump. They're quite comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Have tried several brands including mothercare, boots, and johnsons brands and the best ones I've found are the tommee tippee ones. The others are smaller less absorbant and have uncomfortable scratchy edges. The tommee tippee ones come in boxes of 50 and most chemists have them. I definitely recommend them above all the others. They are larger, softer, and more absorbant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Avent do a reusable pad with a cotton cover to prevent sweating. I think a pack of 6 is about €10. Most people start off with the disposables and switch to these if continuing to feed and are looking for a cheaper alternative.

Lansinoh and TT are probably the most popular but also the most expensive, about €6.99 a pack.
    Lansinoh do a great range of breast feeding products, check out www.lansinoh.com

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

+1 on the Tommee Tippee's

I find them fab. Tesco seem to have them half price every couple of weeks or so.

Theoretically you only need them for a couple of months until your milk supply evens out. Hopefully that's true as I dripped so much on my feet this morning after I got out of the shower I had to wash them again once I got my bra on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I used breast shells.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Breast-Shells_25401/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breast_shell

I know they look werid but when I was feeding I would loose about an once per boob while the baby was latched on the other one and at night I was soaking the bed.

I also found nipples shields to be a godsend esp when I got two cracked nipples.
    Most midwifes/lactation consultnats don't agree with them but I would not have been able to keep breast feeding with out them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Das Kitty wrote: »
    +1 on the Tommee Tippee's
    I dripped so much on my feet this morning after I got out of the shower I had to wash them again once I got my bra on!

Haha! I hate that! I feel like a drippy tap after a shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭llester

you can buy a big box of disposable ones from mothercare brand own for cheap enough.

Otherwise usually when you buy the breast pump there are reusable ones in the same box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got plenty of use out of my reusable ones and they were very good. I used them on both babies. I came across 9 or 10 of the earlier this week when I was sorting out a drawer, my baby is now 12 years old and they're still as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I see Tesco have their own brand disposable ones. Anyone tried these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I have reusables from Mothercare - usig them since around 25 weeks or so because my boobs leak a little. And I only have 2 maternity bras and was sick of having to wash them every day or 2.
    I found they do the job fine...

Have a box of disposables as a back-up for after labour. I think they are from Boots. Can't tell if they are any good yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I'm too tired to come to my own conclusion! Correct me if im wrong, but people seem to find the disposables just as cheap and easy??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Yeah get the disposable ones. Am still breastfeeding and she was 1 last week (note to self: STOP). Bought about 5 boxes of Avent on-line - 30 per boxes and still have 2 boxes unopened. Haven't used them since she was 3 months.

hacked wrote: »
    I'm too tired to come to my own conclusion! Correct me if im wrong, but people seem to find the disposables just as cheap and easy??

Well I have reusables because I think using disposables all the time is wasteful (I tend to apply it to everything). At the same time I am definitely going to have a supply of disposables for being away or just times when I didn't have time to get washing done.

Don't know if that's any help :-)

it would seem most people like the disposables, but I am still interested in the Avent reusables borderline meath was talking about. It feels less waistful! I was planning on washing my bras and nursing pads in the sink everyday and then leaving them to dry...but I have some disposables for now, so I'll see how I get on with it first!

Why in the sink (just out of curiosity)? Isn't it easier just to throw them in the washing machine? Breastpads are sold in a small drawstring net bag so you won't need to look through your regular washing to find them if that's a concern :)

Oh just because I'll most likely be washing my bras quite frequently with the leaking, and I've been told it's better for your bras to wash them by hand. If I'm not putting on al oad every day, it would be easy to just shove them in the sink with the bras :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I didn't wear a bra for the first few weeks ( loose sports bra when I needed to) and went and got measured then. Recommended as I changed sizes considerably and nursing bras are expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

I came across my nursing bras recently and I'd forgotton how big there were, you could launch scud missiles with them but they did give good support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

deemark wrote: »
    I see Tesco have their own brand disposable ones. Anyone tried these?
    I'm using the tesco own brand and they're grand they've a handy sticky strip at the back to keep them in place..which is really handy at night it stops them floating all over the place!! although i find the only time i leak is in the mornings when my body realises he's awake so the box is lasting me ages :D
    I did buy the avent reusable with the nice cotton cover but they're so bulky in the bra and the design kinda shows through if you wear a tight top so it put me off a bit..
    i was running around this morning looking for a towel with my hands cupped under my boobs catching the milk!! my husband was in knots laughing which made me feel like an idiot :D he could've helped me look for the pads.. they were under the 6 thousand nappies in my locker drawer:rolleyes:

Advertisement