Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brushing up on your French again

Options
  • 12-02-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Left school with good level in French, and have only had the chance to use it a few times since when I was on holidays basically.

Now how does one go about coming back to French to get back to the level they were at, and to move on with it.
    Are there any educational website/cds that are geared for this specifically?
    I don't want a beginners French cd set or anything.

Maybe the Revision book for the Leaving Cert?

Anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

The revision book isnt bad. It will help your reading skills and comprehenison.

Other then that, I would recommend having a look at Itunes Podcasts, where you can find many French ones, going from learning French (basic phrases) to complete news reports from French Radio Channels and everything in between.

And maybe book yourself into a French course somewhere?

That's what I can think of for now... Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 stwidgie

For re-starting, I may be low on ideas. I've used a "for dummies" book with adult learners, but that may not suit you. For reading, there's always French newspapers online (Libération and Le Monde, for example). You can also find some books in bilingual editions, with a page of English on one side and a page of French on the other.

To maintain my French, I listen to podcasts (Radio France Internationale, Europe1) and participate in a monthly conversation group. In major cities there may be organizations for French expats (such as Union des Français à l'Étranger) which have events you could attend. Sister City programs are another way to connect with native speakers and interested learners - this may be less of an issue in Ireland than in the U.S.

Bonne chance - please tell us what you find works.

Advertisement