Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghibli Season

Options
  • 12-02-2010 6:53pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm selectively blind but I couldn't find a thread about this.

Currently on Film4, a Studio Ghibli season is running it's course (a tie-in with Ponyo) at 11am or so every morning for the next few days. I was flipping around on the tv this morning (home sick with all sorts) and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was on, lovely film.

Tomorrow mornings film is Porco Rosso and is one of Studio Ghiblis finest in my opinion.

Posting this both as a general interest for anyone not familiar with Ghibli's releases or wanting to watch more and also for people home sick with nothing to do :)

Saturday: Porco Rosso
    Sunday: Castle of Cagliostro
    Monday: Whisper of the Heart
    Tuesday: Princess Mononoke

[EDIT]: on further investigation, they're repeating the season starting next Wednesday but shifting the times to later in the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Have them all on DVD but nice chance for people to give Ghibli a go.

+1 for Porco. Underappreciated

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

nice one my kids love these films, thanks for the heads up.
    Rhyme wrote: »
    Maybe I'm selectively blind but I couldn't find a thread about this.

Currently on Film4, a Studio Ghibli season is running it's course (a tie-in with Ponyo) at 11am or so every morning for the next few days. I was flipping around on the tv this morning (home sick with all sorts) and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was on, lovely film.

Tomorrow mornings film is Porco Rosso and is one of Studio Ghiblis finest in my opinion.

Posting this both as a general interest for anyone not familiar with Ghibli's releases or wanting to watch more and also for people home sick with nothing to do :)

Saturday: Porco Rosso
    Sunday: Castle of Cagliostro
    Monday: Whisper of the Heart
    Tuesday: Princess Mononoke

[EDIT]: on further investigation, they're repeating the season starting next Wednesday but shifting the times to later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I don't have Film4. :(

Studio Ghibli are the Pixar of anime, they consistently make great films. :)

Of those 4 I've only seen Porco Rosso, which is one of my favourite animes. Not sure how I've managed to not watch Princess Mononoke yet, must track down a copy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Nichololas wrote: »
    I don't have Film4. :(

Studio Ghibli are the Pixar of anime, they consistently make great films. :)

True, they make great films but there is a varying degree of 'great'. Mononoke and their ilk are fantastic but The Cat Returns was just 'good' and Tales from Earthsea had that Ghibli style of animation but a terrible story.

If the director is Hayao Miyazaki, you've got guaranteed gold :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dubbed or subbed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

They are showing Ponyo??

When will this be on?

I would imagine that they will be dubbed, film4 generally show the dubbed versions of these films.
    I don't think it really takes away from them though.
    The english seems to sync up relatively well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Rhyme wrote: »
    True, they make great films but there is a varying degree of 'great'. Mononoke and their ilk are fantastic but The Cat Returns was just 'good' and Tales from Earthsea had that Ghibli style of animation but a terrible story.

If the director is Hayao Miyazaki, you've got guaranteed gold :)

Ah now, I think Tales from Earthsea was probably the only true disappointment in the studio's history (I quite enjoyed the Cat Returns myself even if it wasn't the best), Isao Takahata's films are incredibly good as well, Grave of the Fireflies and Pom Poko for example.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    They are showing Ponyo??

When will this be on?

I would imagine that they will be dubbed, film4 generally show the dubbed versions of these films.
    I don't think it really takes away from them though.
    The english seems to sync up relatively well.

Ponyo is getting a cinema release this week, so just a season to coincide with the (totally warranted) buzz. I remember a few years ago they had pretty much every Ghibli film on, and showed them all subbed first and then dubbed a few weeks later, or t'other way round. Was a good way of doing it.

Whisper of the Heart is a really nice film actually - far superior to its slightly creepy younger brother The Cat Returns, which along with Earthsea, is my least favourite Ghibli. Not the biggest fan of Porco Rosso either, but I liked the action scenes at the end.

Anyone heard anything about the long lost Ghibli Ocean Waves that has just been released on DVD? Was going to pick it up but wanted to read up on it before leaping in, lest it was best forgotten!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Anyone heard anything about the long lost Ghibli Ocean Waves that has just been released on DVD? Was going to pick it up but wanted to read up on it before leaping in, lest it was best forgotten!

From what I've heard it's a little off the beaten track when it comes to Ghibli (as far as I know, it was the senior staff at the studio giving the younger members a project to do on their own). Any talk i've heard of it says you can't directly compare it with most of the other Ghibli films but worth looking at.

The biggest complaint i've heard was that the DVD has no extras :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just finished porco rosso there, very good movie. dub was quite well done as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I think Whisper of the Heart is my favourite Ghibli film. They really find beauty in the most mundane things in that movie. Joint seconded by Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky.

Advertisement