Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance question

Options
  • 12-02-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

I was tidying up my online banking and deleting some unused DDs from my account. I accidently deleted my car insurace DD and just realised today that the payment for this month obviously didn't go through.

Am I instantly not insured?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I was tidying up my online banking and deleting some unused DDs from my account. I accidently deleted my car insurace DD and just realised today that the payment for this month obviously didn't go through.

Am I instantly not insured?

no offence... but why wouldnt you just ring your insurance company and they will tell you 100% if you are or not.... otherwise you will just get opinion here as no one your policy...

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

I did call them, I'm waiting for them to call back, I'm just very impatient and wanted an opinion on the matter...

But thanks a lot for your excellent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The insurance company should contact you and inform you the payement was missed. Ring you bank, they might be able to reset the DD up using the file information. Offer to go to the insurance company and make the o/standing payment or pay via debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

They generally won't withdraw cover immediately. Same when renewing it anually. They will normally extend the cover for a week or so if you are sorting out the cash and that. Will depend on the insurer though.

As you have called them, best explain the story and you can probably make this months payment via card over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Don't worry, it is not ideal but they will contact you about it, then try and take 2 payments when DD is reinstated - you should have heard fairly soon after the DD was due to be taken as the process is generally automatic.

Just to keep yourself clear (in case you have a claim) speak to them, explain the situation.

Sure it happens all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Most insurers will attempt the DD twice and then send you a letter stating your cover will be cancelled if you don't pay the outstanding amount within X days.

But yes..._RING THEM_.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Technically your payment schedule and insurance policy are 2 seperate contracts. Failure to meet a DD payment will not cancel your insurance but I would deal with it quickly. An Insurer has to issue a registered letter to you notifying you of their intention to cancel cover before you would be uninsured. If you have your policy document, the procedure will be dealt with under the cancellation clause (usually near the back of the document)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

For an insurance company to cancel your insurance they must follow guidlines. First they must infom you, then with no answer they must inform the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland and the Insurance federation. The MIBI then sign off that the insurance is cancels and null and void. The whole process takes about a month to two months.

RING YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY BACK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

For an insurance company to cancel your insurance they must follow guidlines. First they must infom you, then with no answer they must inform the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland and the Insurance federation. The MIBI then sign off that the insurance is cancels and null and void. The whole process takes about a month to two months.

RING YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY BACK
    That's not correct. Insurers are only obliged to send notification to your last known address, the policy holder is not obliged to receive it. The actual sending is sufficient to comply with the insurers obligations.

The MIB have no interest unless there is a motor accident involving an uninsured driver, so I don't know what that advice is about.

Bottom line is that insurers need to notify you of cancellation of cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I'm just very impatient and wanted an opinion on the matter

Excellent choice of user name...

Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dollybird09

Fishtits wrote: »
    Excellent choice of user name...

Sorry!

I thought so too!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oliver28

does anyone know if, will my motor insurance lower down my premium rate now that im unemployed?
    thanks!

Advertisement