Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What birds are these??

Options
  • 12-02-2010 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

There's a flock of birds up here in Navan on green outside.

At first thought they were starlings, (speckled) but they have an orange-ish chest similar to robin, but bigger birds and very noticeable white over the eye??

Thanks,

Kev

former username (Joseph Brand)

BTW Is there a good site with Irish bird species where a person might be able to try identify a bird as Birdwatch Ireland seems useless.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmmm, not really much like a starling, seeing as it's a member of the thrush family, but possibly a redwing? We've had a lot of them here this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Have to say that redwings came to mind as well, mainly because a friend of mine made a starling comparison as well when she asked me about them a few weeks back. I think it was the fact it was a lot of medium sized birds together on the ground that caused my friend to compare them with starlings.

OP here are some pics I found online of redwing, are they similar to what you saw?

redwing01nb_1.jpg

redwing_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

Advertisement