Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waxing - what to expect? Where to do it?

Options
  • 12-02-2010 4:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,
    Totally newbie here. Not only on forum but regarding waxing as well.
    I've used razors for... ever :o and now the result doesn't satisfy me(and my boyfriend :D ) any more.
    I've been reading on the internet about different procedures and their effect and I'm dazzled:
    -if I've used to shave my legs and arms , this means that waxing it's going to be more painful than usual?
    -I'm kinda sensitive regarding pain (reduced pain threshold or just... sensitive , never knew exactly) , this being the reason I never used an epilator, should I still look for waxing or just have to use with dry/light rough skin (after shaving certain areas :o )?
    There are many questions and quite a few answers regarding waxing (this type of discussions helps allot), but none of them seems to cover all the topics to fit entirely my profile. If any of you are in a similar situation or just have more knowledge on this matter, I will be more than grateful for helping me.
    With many thanks,
    Amelia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

Very important - Don't do anything without a patch test!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

As above. Also pop 2 neurofen a half hour before your appointment. Ask your therapist about various waxes they use, hypoallergenic etc. and don't be worried about showing your bits, they've seen it all and most of it before breakfast.

After the redness tones down you have many hair free weeks for your skin to recover from shaving etc. which I agree is very tough on skin.

You'll ultimately only find out if it suits you if you try it.

Good luck with the patch test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 honey.bee883

mashling wrote: »
    Very important - Don't do anything without a patch test!!!

Thanks for the reply Mashling. Indeed , the patch test it's mandatory.
    In order to get the patch test I have to decide about the type of waxing and where to do it.
    I'm afraid that a wrong choice of salon/type of wax used and some tension on my behalf may ruin forever my chances for a smoother skin. I've found some tips on how to make it a less painful experience: http://www.articlesbase.com/fitness-articles/reduce-brazilian-body-wax-pain-5-tips-897045.html .
    These is where I was counting on some advices about where should I go ? What salon is recommended? Who's the best in Dublin on that area?
    If someone reading this post could give me hint about a place where they had a less painful intimate waxing, that will help a lot.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Urban wax are BRILLIANT. Go there, they'll look after you brilliantly.

Had some time to kill during weekend (with tea and cold&flu ) and did more research on the subject. I found this thread :http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055077199 . General opinion gives a + to Brazilia comparing with Urbanwax, and they put both on top of the list when looking for intimate waxing.
    As mentioned, with time not being a issue, I've just keep looking for the answer.
    The facts:
    -Both salons use Australian Wax : Urbanwax= Caron Wax , Brazilia= Lycon Wax;
    - Caron wax has something called titanium dioxide which : "actively reduces redness and sensitivity in all areas"; (quote form the website)
    -Lycon uses a lower temperature and "include various essential oils to nurture and soothe even the most sensitive skins" ;(quote form the website)
    With chemistry not being my strongest point I was wasn't able to put things head to head regarding titanium dioxide so no mentions about his advantages/risks.
    Conclusions:
    Even if I do not consider myself obsessed when it comes to health and environment, I will always choose something " natural" over a chemical compound (with the risk of taking some marketing c**p) just because as long is "natural" on the label there is a chance to find natural in the box.
    Not the best solution but... I try.
    So Brazilia seems the way to go.
    Next subject is more sensitive than my "sensitive skin" : money . How much I'm willing to(or I should ) pay?
    I agree with Quality, Professionalism and all, but really,:eek: 52Euro just for......brazilan seems to expensive. (Urbanwax are even more expensive so maybe I should just accept it :confused: ).
    Maybe it's my self defence mechanism , looking for excuses not to do it, or maybe I work hard for my money, don't really know for sure; one thing I know for sure : not gone pay almost 100 quids just to wax my legs and "upper part".
    Still looking for solutions, still hoping for a quality service at a reasonable price in Dublin. It's to much to ask?
    What are my choices? Any of you know a good, reasonable price salon ? Or the only real choice it's between shaving with his burning sensation on my skin and waxing at Brazilia (or other similar) with his burning sensation on my pockets?
    I will keep anyone interested up to date with mi finndings. In the mean while thank you all for your present and future recommendation.

• Advertisement

Did my booking for Wed. evening. I've decided for a home based salon (found it on one of the threads ). It's in Rathmines , 10 min from where I live and the girl I've talk to, Cathy , told me she uses Lycon wax. The prices are unbelievable: 16 Euro for a Brazilian - it's an limited offer, but it's 1/3rd of what I have to pay some place else.
    Hope I've made the right decision. I will know for sure in less than 20 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Let us know how you got on, and how good they were at the salon.

Am trying to work up the courage myself! Even the thoughts of it has me wincing in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Did my booking for Wed. evening. I've decided for a home based salon (found it on one of the threads ). It's in Rathmines , 10 min from where I live and the girl I've talk to, Cathy , told me she uses Lycon wax. The prices are unbelievable: 16 Euro for a Brazilian - it's an limited offer, but it's 1/3rd of what I have to pay some place else.
    Hope I've made the right decision. I will know for sure in less than 20 hours.

Honestly, I know there's a recession but a brazilian is not something I'd skimp on.

If it's not done well, it's so painful and it'll look like your bikini line has been mugged.

Particularly due to the fact that it's your first time, I'd go to a reputable salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Honestly, I know there's a recession but a brazilian is not something I'd skimp on.

If it's not done well, it's so painful and it'll look like your bikini line has been mugged.

Particularly due to the fact that it's your first time, I'd go to a reputable salon.

So how would you decide then... just go wherever costs more? That doesn't make sense, you can't tell what somethings like just by the price of it.

(eg. honda's are more reliable than Mercedes but Mercedes cost more)

I didn't post anything last night because the story was not complete.
    For wed evening I had my patch test - thank you mashling for advice.
    When I called to book my appointment she asks me if had waxing before and she told me too that patch test is needed.
    I want to thank HardyEustace for recommendation and concern. I agree that are goods and services that require more attention when purchased, and intimate waxing it's on top of that list for sure. I was concern myself about this and this is why I did all the research and ask for second opinions. Reasons I choose this therapist: first the wax used: Lycon , 2nd Price, 3rd - found it on one of the threads , the girl who post it was happy enough about the results. (when I've contact her the first time I asked about a half leg, I knew had to do the patch test first and toke it as a chance to see the place and the therapist; I was not totally sincere, but did not wanna go completely exposed).
    Djdaforce , very good point, had few deception myself in places that were "high priced" - restaurants and stuff; unfortunately a higher price doesn't give u high quality all the time.
    Referring strictly to the price, had to pay 16€ for a Brazilian - it was half price because of an offer, normally its 32€ - still looks great comparing to 50-60€ in other places.
    First impression:
    Arrived there few minutes late, got something to do with the lack of any signs and me not knowing the area so well. In fairness, its home based so this explains why there were no signs. Got my directions from Googlemap and were accurate, just than I'm not a great navigator :) . She gave me direction on the phone and ... found it.
    The place looks like an actual beauty salon ,and Cathy, the Therapist was even wearing a uniform - very professional , only difference comparing with an regular Salon- no Reception (not a problem at all, I still got my candy, just that it was in the treatment room- nice touch).
    Room was spotless and all the equipment looked like new. Also had some relaxation music - not sure if the best choice for waxing- surprisingly worked well for me, I was more relaxed already. I did not take my painkillers in the first day- Giselle , thank you for the advice- want it to save them for the big pain.
    Had to fill a consultation form, and she asked me some additional questions that weren't on the form.
    The Patch Test:
    On a less visible part of my forearm she applied something to clean and disinfect the area, oil after it and finally the wax. Before I knew it it was over - a short burning sensation rapidly relived when she place her hand on it immediately after pulling the wax. At the end a solution was sprayed - I thought it was for cooling but she explains me that was for "ingrown hair" - very often present in case of first time waxing.
    Few other instruction about what to do and not to do regarding my "hairless" area and I was good to go. Had to come back in 24hours depending on the results.
    I felt comfortable enough, so decided to "change" my booking for a Brazilian. I've kept the half leg as well - price was good, only 11.25€ and did not want to look suspicious with a sudden change of mind.
    The DAY:
    Like I mentioned before, no previous experience related to waxing, enough experience related to Beauty Salons :) , so all that I can do is to describe as accurate I can the entire process. Doing this, those of you with previous experiences may compare and draw conclusions, and newbies like me can make an idea on what to expect for a first time Brazilian Waxing.
    I will jump to the "fun" part in order to make the story "shorter": I was left alone in the room to prepare my self , had the chance to have a look around: all was put in order and lots of cleaning and disinfectant solution on the trolley; some sort of paper sheet covered the bed and baby wipes placed on reach. Like in the first day, no difference from a regular (not home-based) Beauty Salon .
    When I was ready, she came in to the room. I was embarrassed at first, but not for long, she was acting like nothing changed since she left the room, like she did not even notice that I've droop the cloths. Giselle was right, they've seen it all.
    She was really confident and felt like she knew my bits better than i do: precise moves, direct but fairly gentle touches.
    She warns me that will be somehow different because the hair roots were stronger down there after years of shaving. She also told me that after few times the hair will loose his strength and the pain will reduce allot.
    This time she used 2 types of wax, same disinfectant and oil.
    The first type had a thicker consistency and was applied over small areas. Found it strange and asked why: this makes the pain more bearable and eliminates the risk of breaking the wax patch - possible in case of strong hair.
    Overall, with my painkillers, wax smelling like strawberries, warm and cozy place, relaxation music and her organized as during a surgery, I was used to the process in less than 5 minutes. I even stop asking questions and try to concentrate on the music and nice smell. I'm not saying that was a walk in the park or that I will do it for the pleasure of it, just that wasn't as bad as expected and I will be able to do it again.
    The second type of wax was thinner, looked like honey and caused me less pain. The wax wasn't really "hot" but with the sensitive skin down there, first contact is like touching a hot cup of tea: doesn't really hurt but creates a slight discomfort for a second or two.
    For legs a third type of wax was used, larger areas were covered and the wax was removed with a cloth applied on top( not like in the intimate area were the wax was used by her self).
    This post slowly transforms into a novel, not a problem for me- don’t have classes tomorrow- but may be a problem for people trying reading it, so I will try to stop here. If are any questions I will try to answer the one by one to keep some order in this chaos I've create in here.:o
    Are few more things worth mentioned like the same solution for "ingrown hairs" applied after it, tips and recommendations, compliments for the way I handle the pain :D( she mentioned that during the time she was working for someone else in a Salon had to do male waxing- this made her decide not to do it any more because they were to affected by pain - for me this alone it's a reason to consider a career in male waxing ;)).
    All this and the fact that discovered some things we are both passionate about: yoga and dance , put me in a really good mood and left smiling and relaxed (probably more relieved than relaxed but who cares about the difference now?).
    My skin is still sensitive after 8 hours, but doesn't hurt and its unbelievable smooth - can't have enough of it , really like the filling.
    As Salon experience I will give it a "A", Therapist "+A" (not much of a difference here , the therapist is the salon :) ).
    I felt spoiled and pampered but most important Respected as a Customer, so I will say that definitely worth the money.
    She does Massage as well and already booked mine for next week to forget completely about waxing. Plus that my boyfriend offered to pay for it. :p
    Totally happy with the choice, worked great for me.
    Thank you all for suggestions and advices.
    Amelia

P.S. The half price offer that I've mentioned will be available for another 10 days -till the end of the month- so if any of you want to give it a try keep this in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 kco2010

Well done honeybee, I have also been shaving for years and am terrified to get waxed even though I would prefer it I just couldnt get my bits out, I would be mortified!! I wouldnt mind pain as ive a high threshold so embarresment is the only thing stopping me. Anyone else have this problem and get over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

I can now agree with honey.bee from experience... Cathy is brilliant!!!! Really nice and friendly, lovely little salon, uses brilliant products... A star! My legs are really smooth now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Err I wouldn't trust ANY place that charges €16 for a brazilian, even if their normal price is €32. Standard Brazilian price is between €50 now in reputable places (i.e. Brazilia).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

i have been getting waxed for years but this month decided to go to a newly opened salon in cork. they offer lycon wax so i was curious to see if it would be noticably less painful ! the answer is yes def less painful ... but very painful on my wallet. half leg, g string wax. eye brow. and lip wax. came to a total of €78. think i willl revert to my usual salon. save myself about 20 euro and take a nurofen !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Thanks for the very detailed update HoneyBee, only came across this now. I've only had waxes twice - once a year for the last couple of years before my holidays. Both times were different salons and both were extremely painful, to the point where I was tempted to stop halfway through. Both left my bikini line bleeding and purple, though this disappeared in a day or two (still very sore though!!).

Would love to find a nice waxer and this woman sounds lovely. I don't do it very often but would if I found a salon that was worth it. I definitely don't shave as much anymore and that's only after two waxes ever so I'd be excited to see the results of waxing more often.

My mum put an epilator in with my xmas pressies this year but i haven't grown the hair on my legs long enough to use it yet.

Does anyone know if these are as painful as waxing??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^^ It's not that painful if you go to a reputable place. People who want to get brazilians / hollywood waxes need to understand that these are speciality waxes and the therapist who carries out a brazilian / hollywood needs to get a lot of training. I wouldn't trust a standard beauty therapist for a brazilian / hollywood, there is just no way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the only place to go to is Brazilia if you're in Dublin. Do not waste your time and money in other places, they just don't do the job as well.

Oh and if getting a brazilian / hollywood, the only wax that should be used is the hot wax, i.e. the one that is peeled off.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Err I wouldn't trust ANY place that charges €16 for a brazilian, even if their normal price is €32. Standard Brazilian price is between €50 now in reputable places (i.e. Brazilia).

I thank any beautician who offers a lycon wax (really flippin good wax and super painless as compared to my 4 years worth of waxing experience) for such a low price. The reason a standard brazilian is €50 is because we're all being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

tinkerbell wrote: »
    ^^ It's not that painful if you go to a reputable place. People who want to get brazilians / hollywood waxes need to understand that these are speciality waxes and the therapist who carries out a brazilian / hollywood needs to get a lot of training. I wouldn't trust a standard beauty therapist for a brazilian / hollywood, there is just no way.

I wasn't getting a hollywood or brazilian, just half a leg and a standard bikini wax. I think I have extra sensitive skin or something. The second time I went to a beautician I explained about my last experience but the results were the same, despite asking her to take it easy.

So it could just be me.

I also agree with the whole process being a complete rip off here, expertise or no expertise. The girl in Rathmines sounds like she did a great job for very little.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A friendly note to Cathy and her friends: If you wish to advertise through boards.ie, please contact sales@boards.ie. I am deleting posts by your cohorts which are blatant spam. This thread is now closed as it is nothing but a giant shill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement