Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitor Belfort is injured .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cletus

pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

LOL, and Dan Henderson is with strikeforce now and Sonnen has just fought:pac::pac:

Serves the UFC right for giving someone unworthy the shot. We could get an Anderson Silva 205lb match as a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

ah fook

**** that, not really interested in seeing Silva knock out some mid rank guy in the first round.

I know Belfort got the shot quickly, but i was actually looking forward to that fight, I've always liked Vitor, ever since UFC 12, but especially after his beat-down of tank at 13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Is Sonnen on medical suspension as well? If Silva stays fit he should fight at Light Heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 horsey24787

assuming they keep silva on the card who is he going to fight. Sonnen is the no. 1 contender but he suffered a pretty nasty cut so might not be ready in time. He's also running for a government position afaik so may not want/ be able to take the fight. By making Sonnen the no 1 contender the UFC has kinda illegitimised any claim Marquardt or Maia have for a title shot. No one else in the division is even close.

This makes it an ideal opportunity for him to fight at 205 but most of the top contenders are tied up (Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad). Realistically the only one available for 112 is Randy Couture which would be pretty awesome. Couture said after 109 that he likes having a quick turnaround between fights so we can assume he'd be ready. Maybe I;m forgetting someone but the only other top light heavyweights available are Franklin and Silva, neither of which i can see happening.

Silva vs Couture would be a ridiculously easy sell for the UFC and would surely do a rake load of buys. It looks like a great fight on paper. Only problem I can see is that it'd be only 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Silva vs Couture would be a ridiculously easy sell for the UFC and would surely do a rake load of buys. It looks like a great fight on paper. Only problem I can see is that it'd be only 3 rounds.

It isn't limited to 3 rounds. It's the main event so they could have it as 5 rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was going to throw Forest out there for a second chance at 205 then I remembered he's fighting little nog @ 114. Normally I wouldn't be one to buy into hype and potential opponents, but randy vs silva is one every man and his dog would buy :D

Edit: It's a fight that I couldn't see Silva losing though much as I'd love to see randy slap him about for 3 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why would this be a problem?Silva would finish him within 2
    Mellor wrote: »
    It isn't limited to 3 rounds. It's the main event so they could have it as 5 rounds.
    Pretty sure its only nevada that has that in the sanctioning laws and it isnt applicable to every main event.Just titles & significant importance like superfights.GSP vs Silva would be one.Couture & Silva wouldnt IMO

Pretty sure its only nevada that has that in the sanctioning laws and it isnt applicable to every main event.Just titles & significant importance like superfights.GSP vs Silva would be one.Couture & Silva wouldnt IMO

It's only Nevada in the states. Not the world.
    And it obvious isn't in relation to titles (which are five rounds everywhere).
    I checked and the law refers to "championship-level athletes". So fights for number 1 spots, and maybe some top level fights. IMO Randy doesn't cut it at 205 but somebody else might at 185.

This would be up to UAE sanction, which are unlikley to be restrictive. (although I can't confirm for 100%) But they could still go with 5 round, but they haven't used that rule yet, so meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

I was just watching MMA Live, which was taped before this announcement was made.

They were saying Sonnen told them he was "back in the gym training for Abu Dhabi in case Vitor pulls out".

So there's a good chance it'll be Sonnen...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sonnen said even before the Belfort injury that he would keep in shape in the hope that someone would get injured. He's medically suspended from contact til early March though.

My money is on Couture. I think the UFC know that they can't realistically push Couture for a title shot just yet and Silva has said that he wants big marquee fights at 205. This would be a big fight and easy to hype. Plus both fighters would get a big boost with a win but don't look too bad with a loss considering the opposition.

Although I read a rumour that Couture might face Franklin at UFC 115...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cletus wrote: »
    pain in the hole.

Nah, pretty sure it was his shoulder... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I would defo get the popcorn in for silva vs randy

**** one belfort is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

im sick Vitor is out, was looking more forward to this than any other fight i can remember, would of been a real test for Silva standing..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Dana has been quoted saying that "anderson will be fighting at 112 at 185". Looks like Sonnen so..

source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Dana has been quoted saying that "anderson will be fighting at 112 at 185". Looks like Sonnen so..

Sonnen was badly cut at the weekend and has been given 30 days no contact so i think its unlikely he'll fight Silva. More likely is Maia or maybe even Sexyama

Killme00 wrote: »
    Sonnen was badly cut at the weekend and has been given 30 days no contact so i think its unlikely he'll fight Silva. More likely is Maia or maybe even Sexyama

Neither of those fight interest me. Please phone dana and let him know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Maia's medically suspended until August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Neither of those fight interest me. Please phone dana and let him know

I agree, i want to see him fight Wandy

Why is Maia on medical suspension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

there's a big lay off for concussion, possibly concussed after marquadt.

just a small note, those medical suspensions have no relevance to fights fought side the jurisdiction of the nevada state athletic commission. i dont think the ufc have a habit of flaunting such ruling but there is no reason why they cant be ignored if the fights in abu dhabi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭peter p

Wandy should take this fight as long as he doesnt cut his fist smashing bispings glass jaw!!!!:D

id love a randy v silva though.

Wandy vs Anderson would be a cool match but I think Anderson is far too clinical in his striking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

I've heard Couture and Franklin is in the works, not that it couldn't be changed or anything if the Silva fight was a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Too big an event in the UFC business wise for them to not have a stacked replacement. Maybe BJ & Edgar as the main event and Anderson vs Couture (as the only legitimate match up for Silva) at LHW to sell on paper.
    Guess Dana wish he could have Henderson back. r

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rooneyboy

what a difference 6 months make, half a year ago he was being knocked out in 21 secs by nate. now he is fighting for the title

• Advertisement

Fromvert wrote: »
    Maia's medically suspended until August.
    obviously not
    rooneyboy wrote: »
    what a difference 6 months make, half a year ago he was being knocked out in 21 secs by nate. now he is fighting for the title

And Nate was beaten by Sonnen last week, and Maia beat Sonnen before that, but Maia was knocked out by Nate but........etc

Come on, isolating a single match out of 13 fights is a bit silly.

Advertisement